Feb 12, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
Maryland will honor former coach Lefty Driesell at the Terrapins’ home game against Clemson on Feb. 23 and will unveil a bronze bas-relief to commemorate his time at the school later this year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Lefty is a legendary coach and we are happy to recognize him on this special day,” Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson said in a statement. “It will be exciting for our longtime fans to celebrate Lefty’s return to the university and we look forward to the dedication of his Bas-relief in April.”
Driesell coached the Terrapins for 17 seasons, beginning in 1969, and amassed an overall record of 348-159 during his time in College Park. During his tenure, Maryland won one ACC title and appeared in the NCAA tournament eight times.
He held the position until 1986, when the death of his former star player, Len Bias, and the ensuing fallout from the investigation brought an end to his time as the school’s head coach. Following his time at Maryland, he went on to coach at Georgia State and James Madison. He won 786 games in his coaching career and an NIT championship in 1972.
“Lefty did a great job establishing a tradition for Maryland basketball,” said men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon. “I know our alumni, former players, and our team is excited to have Lefty back on campus. It will be a great day for everyone involved with Maryland basketball.”
For more from CSNBaltimore.com, click here.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 0
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 0
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 1
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 5 Oklahoma State’s win over Purdue exemplifies issues with new foul rules (3)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)