Feb 12, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
Maryland will honor former coach Lefty Driesell at the Terrapins’ home game against Clemson on Feb. 23 and will unveil a bronze bas-relief to commemorate his time at the school later this year, the school announced Tuesday.
“Lefty is a legendary coach and we are happy to recognize him on this special day,” Maryland Athletic Director Kevin Anderson said in a statement. “It will be exciting for our longtime fans to celebrate Lefty’s return to the university and we look forward to the dedication of his Bas-relief in April.”
Driesell coached the Terrapins for 17 seasons, beginning in 1969, and amassed an overall record of 348-159 during his time in College Park. During his tenure, Maryland won one ACC title and appeared in the NCAA tournament eight times.
He held the position until 1986, when the death of his former star player, Len Bias, and the ensuing fallout from the investigation brought an end to his time as the school’s head coach. Following his time at Maryland, he went on to coach at Georgia State and James Madison. He won 786 games in his coaching career and an NIT championship in 1972.
“Lefty did a great job establishing a tradition for Maryland basketball,” said men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon. “I know our alumni, former players, and our team is excited to have Lefty back on campus. It will be a great day for everyone involved with Maryland basketball.”
For more from CSNBaltimore.com, click here.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)