Feb 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EST
North Carolina freshman Joel James will not play Wednesday against No. 2 Duke after suffering a concussion last week in a win over Wake Forest, coach Roy Williams announced Tuesday.
The 6-10 native of Florida was struck on the head at an unknown point during the game against Wake Forest, but did not notify team doctors about the headaches he was suffering from until Monday. During that window of time, North Carolina lost to No. 8 Miami, 87-61, a game in which James went scoreless in nine minutes of play.
As a result of the concussion, James did not participate in practice Monday or Tuesday.
On the year, James is averaging 2.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in just over 11 minutes per game. His best game of the year came Nov. 11 against Florida Atlantic when he scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
North Carolina tips off against No. 2 Duke on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET.
- Wisconsin wins 2014 Battle 4 Atlantis with 69-56 win over Oklahoma 0
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 1
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)