Feb 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
North Carolina freshman Joel James will not play Wednesday against No. 2 Duke after suffering a concussion last week in a win over Wake Forest, coach Roy Williams announced Tuesday.
The 6-10 native of Florida was struck on the head at an unknown point during the game against Wake Forest, but did not notify team doctors about the headaches he was suffering from until Monday. During that window of time, North Carolina lost to No. 8 Miami, 87-61, a game in which James went scoreless in nine minutes of play.
As a result of the concussion, James did not participate in practice Monday or Tuesday.
On the year, James is averaging 2.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in just over 11 minutes per game. His best game of the year came Nov. 11 against Florida Atlantic when he scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
North Carolina tips off against No. 2 Duke on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)