Feb 12, 2013, 5:40 PM EDT
North Carolina freshman Joel James will not play Wednesday against No. 2 Duke after suffering a concussion last week in a win over Wake Forest, coach Roy Williams announced Tuesday.
The 6-10 native of Florida was struck on the head at an unknown point during the game against Wake Forest, but did not notify team doctors about the headaches he was suffering from until Monday. During that window of time, North Carolina lost to No. 8 Miami, 87-61, a game in which James went scoreless in nine minutes of play.
As a result of the concussion, James did not participate in practice Monday or Tuesday.
On the year, James is averaging 2.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in just over 11 minutes per game. His best game of the year came Nov. 11 against Florida Atlantic when he scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
North Carolina tips off against No. 2 Duke on Wednesday at 9 p.m. ET.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)