Feb 12, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Matthew White, the starting center on Penn’s 1979 Final Four team that lost to Magic Johnson and Michigan State in the National Semifinals, was stabbed to death by his wife on Sunday night.
Police found his body around 12:45 p.m. on Monday, according to the AP.
White’s wife, Maria Rey Garcia-Pellon, 52, told police that she discovered her husband looking at pornography, possibly child pornography, although it’s still unclear. On Sunday night, she went to their kitchen to get a glass of water before coming back to bed and hiding two knives under the mattress. When White fell asleep, she stabbed him in the neck, killing him.
After her husband had fallen asleep, police said, she grabbed a knife and stabbed him in the neck. When he awoke, the two struggled, and the victim collapsed on the bed after saying “I’m dying, I’m dying,” police said. Garcia-Pellon then allegedly changed her clothing and left the home.
Investigators said they interviewed a friend of Garcia-Pellon, who told them she had come to her house Monday afternoon and said she had stabbed her 53-year-old husband after catching him viewing pornography – possibly child pornography – on the computer. The friend called police.
As she was being taken into custody, according to a police affidavit, she said, “I caught him looking at pornography, young girls. I love kids. I had to do it.”
White is still the career leader in field goal percentage for the Quakers.
His former coach from the 1979 team, Bob Weinhauer, said in a statement: “It was an honor to have been his coach at Penn and to see him develop into a great defensive player and an important member of the 1979 Final Four team. Obviously this is a very difficult time for all who knew Matt, but I prefer to remember his playing the piano in hotels we stayed in on the road or assisting me in coaching the alumni game last year at Penn.”
“Matt will always be remembered as a true supporter of Penn Athletics. I am very sad that he has left us so soon.”
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)