Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 PM EST
Northwestern graduate student and Louisville transfer Jared Swopshire has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and will miss the rest of the season, the school announced Tuesday.
Swopshire went down with an injury in the second half of Northwestern’s loss to Iowa on Saturday and did not return.
“We all feel badly for Jared that he won’t be able to play out the remainder of his final collegiate season,” Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said in a statement Tuesday. “He has been a terrific addition to the program, both on and off the court. He was enjoying a very productive year and was playing his most consistent basketball of the season when the injury occurred. There is every indication that he’ll experience a full recovery.”
Since coming to Northwestern, Swopshire’s minutes had nearly doubled and he responded with production. Before the injury, he had been averaging 9.7 points and was the team’s leading rebounder with 6.7 boards per game.
He has had to deal with season-ending injuries before during his college career, having missed the entire 2010-11 season with a groin injury. Without him, Northwestern will have an even more uphill battle in the tough Big Ten. The Wildcats return to the floor on Thursday against No. 13 Ohio State.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)