Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Northwestern graduate student and Louisville transfer Jared Swopshire has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and will miss the rest of the season, the school announced Tuesday.
Swopshire went down with an injury in the second half of Northwestern’s loss to Iowa on Saturday and did not return.
“We all feel badly for Jared that he won’t be able to play out the remainder of his final collegiate season,” Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said in a statement Tuesday. “He has been a terrific addition to the program, both on and off the court. He was enjoying a very productive year and was playing his most consistent basketball of the season when the injury occurred. There is every indication that he’ll experience a full recovery.”
Since coming to Northwestern, Swopshire’s minutes had nearly doubled and he responded with production. Before the injury, he had been averaging 9.7 points and was the team’s leading rebounder with 6.7 boards per game.
He has had to deal with season-ending injuries before during his college career, having missed the entire 2010-11 season with a groin injury. Without him, Northwestern will have an even more uphill battle in the tough Big Ten. The Wildcats return to the floor on Thursday against No. 13 Ohio State.
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 0
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 7
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)