Feb 12, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT
Northwestern graduate student and Louisville transfer Jared Swopshire has undergone arthroscopic surgery on his right knee and will miss the rest of the season, the school announced Tuesday.
Swopshire went down with an injury in the second half of Northwestern’s loss to Iowa on Saturday and did not return.
“We all feel badly for Jared that he won’t be able to play out the remainder of his final collegiate season,” Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said in a statement Tuesday. “He has been a terrific addition to the program, both on and off the court. He was enjoying a very productive year and was playing his most consistent basketball of the season when the injury occurred. There is every indication that he’ll experience a full recovery.”
Since coming to Northwestern, Swopshire’s minutes had nearly doubled and he responded with production. Before the injury, he had been averaging 9.7 points and was the team’s leading rebounder with 6.7 boards per game.
He has had to deal with season-ending injuries before during his college career, having missed the entire 2010-11 season with a groin injury. Without him, Northwestern will have an even more uphill battle in the tough Big Ten. The Wildcats return to the floor on Thursday against No. 13 Ohio State.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)