Feb 12, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Game of the Night: No. 4 Michigan at No. 8 Michigan State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s just another day in the Big Ten, as Michigan and Michigan State square off in an in-state rivalry that just so happens to be between two top ten teams looking win the league’s regular season title. The way the standings currently breakdown, the Wolverines are a game in back of the Spartans, who are tied with Indiana for first place. A win tonight would put Tom Izzo’s club in a great position to win the title, as the Hoosiers have a number of tough road games left on the schedule.
Michigan will have their hands full tonight trying to avoid falling two games out of first place. The key matchup for them is going to be at the power forward spot. Michigan plays small, using Glenn Robinson III — a natural small forward — there while the Spartans are one of the biggest teams in the country. Adreian Payne will likely draw the matchup with GR3. Can Michigan exploit Payne’s perimeter deficiencies defensively, or will his size be too much for the Wolverines to overcome?
The Other Game of the Night: No. 25 Kentucky at No. 7 Florida (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Here’s the matchup everyone’s been waiting for in the SEC. Kentucky, who has struggled in stretches this season, has found a rhythm playing against come of the SEC’s bottom-feeders, climbing their way back into the top 25 and the race for the SEC regular season title. That won’t be an easy thing to accomplish with a trip to the O-Dome in Gainesville standing in front of them. It wasn’t that long ago that people were talking about Florida like they were the best team in the country, and one ugly performance at Arkansas is an easy way to forget just how good this team has been this season.
The x-factor here: Will Yeguete’s injury. He was such a key component to Florida’s press, and that press would have been a major factor in Tuesday’s game with Kentucky’s back court question marks. Can the Wildcats take advantage? A win would draw them into a tie with the Gators for first in the SEC.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Boston U. at Vermont (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
This will be the last time that two of the most storied programs in the America East history square off as league rivals, as BU will be heading for the Patriot League after this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) If there is any team in the country that cannot afford a bad loss right now, it’s Virginia. They already have one of the most difficult resumes to project, losing to rival Virginia Tech at home would be disastrous. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
2) Indiana State has had some trouble on the road this season, and Missouri State has done a fine job of playing spoiler in the MVC. The Sycamores are in a good position to in the Missouri Valley and earn an at-large bid. They cannot go risking that with a loss in Springfield. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
3) Alabama has one of this season’s biggest scheduling quirks — they play nine straight SEC games against teams ranked above 100 in the RPI. I guess their are some major conference teams getting a taste of the mid-major lifestyle this season. Georgia’s no pushover, however. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is playing some of the best basketball of his career and the Bulldogs have won five straight. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
4) Set0n Hall and Rutgers square off in the Big East’s intra-state rivalry that no one seems to care about. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
5) Cincinnati looks to end their losing skid by knocking off a pesky Villanova team at home. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 4 Michigan at No. 8 Michigan State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 25 Kentucky at No. 7 Florida (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Calipari tweeted that if the coaches gained an advantage from helping revitalize USA Basketball he “doesn’t begrudge them in the least.”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
An important member in a 2015 class lacking guards has set a decision date.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
John Calipari helped some campers waiting for Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness sleep a little easier by giving away a mattress and some pillows.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Baylor will be without an incoming recruit for the 2014-15 season.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
Coach K responded to recent criticisms lobbied at him about unfair recruiting advantages as USA Basketball’s coach.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Providence is hoping a key member of its backcourt will be healthy this season after two straight years with a shoulder injury.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
One five-star prospect heard a recruiting pitch centered on LeBron James’ homecoming to Cleveland.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT
Vince Carter highlight reels are still the best.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
With Isaiah Briscoe moving on to the college ranks next summer, Duval could be the next elite guard produced by the Playaz Basketball Club.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
Last year’s Hoops on the Haasephalt event attracted nearly 4,000 fans on the UAB campus.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:26 PM EDT
Despite rumors to the contrary, one of the best players in the Class of 2015 is 100 percent committed to attending LSU next year.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
“The Grateful Red” snapped up every available ticket within five minutes Wednesday morning.
Sep 17, 2014, 4:55 PM EDT
The Nittany Lions return five of their top six scorers from a team that finished the 2013-14 season with a 16-18 record (6-12 Big Ten).
Sep 17, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Jim Boeheim is not one to bite his tongue around the media.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Tucker is a powerful dunker at 6-foot-4
Sep 17, 2014, 1:43 PM EDT
Is Oliver Purnell is tapping into a D.C. pipeline?
Sep 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
Walker is currently suspended from the Texas team.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Lyle was originally committed to Louisville before backing off.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
The rush for a good spot to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets is always entertaining.
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 0
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 4
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (4)