Feb 12, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Game of the Night: No. 4 Michigan at No. 8 Michigan State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
It’s just another day in the Big Ten, as Michigan and Michigan State square off in an in-state rivalry that just so happens to be between two top ten teams looking win the league’s regular season title. The way the standings currently breakdown, the Wolverines are a game in back of the Spartans, who are tied with Indiana for first place. A win tonight would put Tom Izzo’s club in a great position to win the title, as the Hoosiers have a number of tough road games left on the schedule.
Michigan will have their hands full tonight trying to avoid falling two games out of first place. The key matchup for them is going to be at the power forward spot. Michigan plays small, using Glenn Robinson III — a natural small forward — there while the Spartans are one of the biggest teams in the country. Adreian Payne will likely draw the matchup with GR3. Can Michigan exploit Payne’s perimeter deficiencies defensively, or will his size be too much for the Wolverines to overcome?
The Other Game of the Night: No. 25 Kentucky at No. 7 Florida (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
Here’s the matchup everyone’s been waiting for in the SEC. Kentucky, who has struggled in stretches this season, has found a rhythm playing against come of the SEC’s bottom-feeders, climbing their way back into the top 25 and the race for the SEC regular season title. That won’t be an easy thing to accomplish with a trip to the O-Dome in Gainesville standing in front of them. It wasn’t that long ago that people were talking about Florida like they were the best team in the country, and one ugly performance at Arkansas is an easy way to forget just how good this team has been this season.
The x-factor here: Will Yeguete’s injury. He was such a key component to Florida’s press, and that press would have been a major factor in Tuesday’s game with Kentucky’s back court question marks. Can the Wildcats take advantage? A win would draw them into a tie with the Gators for first in the SEC.
Mid-Major matchup of the night: Boston U. at Vermont (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
This will be the last time that two of the most storied programs in the America East history square off as league rivals, as BU will be heading for the Patriot League after this season.
Five Things to Watch For
1) If there is any team in the country that cannot afford a bad loss right now, it’s Virginia. They already have one of the most difficult resumes to project, losing to rival Virginia Tech at home would be disastrous. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
2) Indiana State has had some trouble on the road this season, and Missouri State has done a fine job of playing spoiler in the MVC. The Sycamores are in a good position to in the Missouri Valley and earn an at-large bid. They cannot go risking that with a loss in Springfield. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
3) Alabama has one of this season’s biggest scheduling quirks — they play nine straight SEC games against teams ranked above 100 in the RPI. I guess their are some major conference teams getting a taste of the mid-major lifestyle this season. Georgia’s no pushover, however. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is playing some of the best basketball of his career and the Bulldogs have won five straight. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
4) Set0n Hall and Rutgers square off in the Big East’s intra-state rivalry that no one seems to care about. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
5) Cincinnati looks to end their losing skid by knocking off a pesky Villanova team at home. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
No. 4 Michigan at No. 8 Michigan State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
No. 25 Kentucky at No. 7 Florida (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)