Feb 13, 2013, 11:46 AM EDT
Miami’s basketball program has made it.
For the entirety of their existence, The U has been a football school first and a baseball school second. Basketball was a non-entity. For more than a decade during the 70’s and 80’s, that was literal, as the school cut the hoops program.
But after becoming the first team since the early 1950’s to beat both Duke and North Carolina by more than 25 points in the same season, Jim Larranaga’s club has taken a two-game lead over the rest of the ACC and climbed to No. 3 in the AP poll, a ranking that many believe is actually too low.
It’s the high-water mark for the program, even if this particular hasn’t even reached the peak of their success this season.
Which is why I can understand the excitement around the program. But they really need to come up with a better idea than this:
That’s the logo that will be emblazoned on shirts given to the first 1,000 fans that show up for Miami’s game with Virginia, according to Miami’s twitter feed.
“40 Minutes of L”.
I get it. Coach Larranaga is Coach L. It’s a play on the “40 Minutes of Hell” style that Nolan Richardson made popular at Arkansas in the early 90’s. There’s a picture of Coach L holding up an L.
But every sports fan in the world associates ‘L’ with a loss. I’m not sure that is the slogan you want associated with your team, because I’m not sure there is a slogan that is more easily mockable:
Sorry, Miami. Virginia Tech has already used “40 minutes of L” as their basketball slogan.
— Ben Swain (@thedevilwolf) February 13, 2013
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Rick Barnes spoke publicly for the first time about accusations levied against Texas.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A very weak class has some decent guards.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Sindarius Thornwell and TeMarcus Blanton both underwent surgery this offseason.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)