Feb 13, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The University of Tennessee has self-reported 10 violations within its athletic department, three of which occurred within the men’s basketball program. The description of the violations comes from the Associated Press:
One of the men’s basketball violations involved holding open individual skill instruction before a football game. During that session, recruits making official visits were allowed to attempt shots while coaches were present. The others were inconsistencies in the camp registration process and prohibited grocery shopping services for student-athletes.
If it seems ridiculous, it probably is. This is all in an attempt to create a “level playing field”. The real fun begins when parsing the language.
Recruits on an official visit “attempted shots while coaches were present.” Taken literally, perhaps those recruits wouldn’t have caused the school any trouble, had they only taken a page out of Bob Knight’s book, pump-faked, and passed up the shot.
The NCAA has made an effort in recent years to reform recruiting, including deregulating communication bylaws. Clearly, though, there is a lot of work left to do.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)
- Alabama self-reported 13 minor violations last academic year, including one for men’s basketball (2)
- Austin Nichols looking to transfer from Memphis (2)
- Star Kansas freshman Carlton Bragg injured on trip to South Korea (1)