Feb 13, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT
The University of Tennessee has self-reported 10 violations within its athletic department, three of which occurred within the men’s basketball program. The description of the violations comes from the Associated Press:
One of the men’s basketball violations involved holding open individual skill instruction before a football game. During that session, recruits making official visits were allowed to attempt shots while coaches were present. The others were inconsistencies in the camp registration process and prohibited grocery shopping services for student-athletes.
If it seems ridiculous, it probably is. This is all in an attempt to create a “level playing field”. The real fun begins when parsing the language.
Recruits on an official visit “attempted shots while coaches were present.” Taken literally, perhaps those recruits wouldn’t have caused the school any trouble, had they only taken a page out of Bob Knight’s book, pump-faked, and passed up the shot.
The NCAA has made an effort in recent years to reform recruiting, including deregulating communication bylaws. Clearly, though, there is a lot of work left to do.
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Coach K: ‘I do not see an end of my road in my college coaching’ (1)
- Two new regular season college hoops events headed to Vegas (1)