Feb 13, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
About a month ago, we wrote about a nine-year old from Missouri named Joshua Brown.
Joshua has a brain tumor, and through the Friends of Jaclyn program, he’s become close with the St. Louis basketball team.
He goes to the games, he hangs out with the players, and he’s been adopted by the team as a source of inspiration.
It really is a great story, and in a day and age where college athletes have become icons and investment properties for NBA teams, it’s refreshing to hear a story about a group of kids simply being there to bond with a fan that needs a pick-me-up.
Well, we weren’t the only ones to be touched by that story. From Tom Timmermann:
You may recall Joshua Brown, the 9-year-old brain tumor patient who I wrote about a few weeks back. I was talking to his parents before a recent game and they said that they recently got a box in the mail with small gifts from Butler – a little toy bulldog, a shirt, things like that – and a note that said they know that his favorite team is SLU, but if he was going to have a second-favorite team to root for other times, could it be Butler? Alas, the best they can hope for is third. After SLU, Josh’s favorite team is Wake Forest, where SLU director of basketball operations Mike Lepore went to school. (Lepore has spend a lot of time with Josh.)
There are two things I love about this:
– What a classy move from Butler. Bravo.
– Kudos to Joshua for not allowing his fan allegiances to be bought. He’s got his favorite teams, and no amount of t-shirts and stuffed Bulldogs will change that. As a true sports fan, I can respect that. And hey, there’s nothing wrong with third, right Butler?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)