Feb 13, 2013, 2:25 PM EST
About a month ago, we wrote about a nine-year old from Missouri named Joshua Brown.
Joshua has a brain tumor, and through the Friends of Jaclyn program, he’s become close with the St. Louis basketball team.
He goes to the games, he hangs out with the players, and he’s been adopted by the team as a source of inspiration.
It really is a great story, and in a day and age where college athletes have become icons and investment properties for NBA teams, it’s refreshing to hear a story about a group of kids simply being there to bond with a fan that needs a pick-me-up.
Well, we weren’t the only ones to be touched by that story. From Tom Timmermann:
You may recall Joshua Brown, the 9-year-old brain tumor patient who I wrote about a few weeks back. I was talking to his parents before a recent game and they said that they recently got a box in the mail with small gifts from Butler – a little toy bulldog, a shirt, things like that – and a note that said they know that his favorite team is SLU, but if he was going to have a second-favorite team to root for other times, could it be Butler? Alas, the best they can hope for is third. After SLU, Josh’s favorite team is Wake Forest, where SLU director of basketball operations Mike Lepore went to school. (Lepore has spend a lot of time with Josh.)
There are two things I love about this:
- What a classy move from Butler. Bravo.
- Kudos to Joshua for not allowing his fan allegiances to be bought. He’s got his favorite teams, and no amount of t-shirts and stuffed Bulldogs will change that. As a true sports fan, I can respect that. And hey, there’s nothing wrong with third, right Butler?
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)