Feb 13, 2013, 12:21 AM EST
That’s all it took.
An awkward landing after an ugly possession, a knee that buckled when an freak of an athlete got his left foot jammed on the basket support while running at full-speed, and Kentucky has gone from a potentially dangerous lower seed to a team that seems destined for the NIT.
That’s how much Nerlens Noel means to the Wildcats.
That fact has nothing to do with why this injury, if it is as serious as it looks, is so devastating. I don’t care if you are a Louisville fan, there isn’t anyone in the world that enjoys seeing a kid whose athleticism is worth millions upon millions of dollars have that flash in front of his eyes because of one bad landing.
But it is relevant. Kentucky is the reigning national champion. They are a team that still have one of the best head coaches in the game and plenty of talent on the roster. And it’s hard to imagine them doing much of anything the rest of this season.
Noel is the anchor for this team. He’s arguably the most dominant defensive presence in the country. He’s the one guy that can be counted on to provide — points, rebounds, defense, toughness, effort — consistently for this team. Everyone else is a question mark. Ryan Harrow was a deer in headlights tonight, unable to handle Florida’s defensive pressure. Archie Goodwin is supremely talented, but is still learning how to play. Alex Poythress has zero confidence. Willie Cauley-Stein plays hard and has unreal physical tools, but he’s an athlete that plays basketball right now. Not vice versa.
We don’t know how long Noel will be out, but the bottom-line is that without Noel in the lineup, Kentucky is not a tournament team.
Not even close.
(Video via @jquittner)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- Sister’s illness makes for a bittersweet homecoming for Tulsa head coach Frank Haith 0
- Weekend Preview: Things are heating up in the Big 12, plus Coach K No. 1,000? 0
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game 7
- Chase for 180: Boise State rebounds from 0-3 conference start thanks to Derrick Marks 0
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (12)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)