Feb 13, 2013, 11:17 AM EDT
There will never be a definitive answer to what the question ‘What is the greatest rivalry in all of sports?’, but one thing that is undeniable is that Duke and North Carolina have to be present in that conversation.
What’s interesting this season is that Wednesday night will feature the first of two battles on Tobacco Road, and no one seems to be paying any attention to it.
That’s understandable. North Carolina is not the North Carolina that we have become accustomed to seeing. They have a freshmen point guard that is not ready to handle the load he’s been forced to carry and they don’t have a low-post presence, which is as important to Roy Williams’ offensive attack as a well-trained floor general to run the show.
Well, they looked like the best team in the country until Ryan Kelly got injured. Since then, they’ve had as many dominating performances as they’ve had head-scratching outcomes, so while they’ve slowly climbed their way back to the top of the rankings — they’re No. 1 in the Coaches poll and No. 2 in the AP — it’s tough to figure out whether that is the result of the ACC being down or Duke figuring out how to play without their starting power forward.
It makes you wonder.
This college basketball season can probably best be defined as “The Year of WTF?!?!?” Top five teams have been dropping like flies, and, seemingly without fail, the more certain we become about any one team, the more likely it is that team is headed for a collapse. Remember when we thought Louisville was the best team in the country? Or Michigan? Or Kansas? Or Florida? At this rate, the dumbest thing that Michigan State could have done was blow out Michigan last night. That all-but guarantees they’re going to lose four of the next five games.
Given that uncertainty, why aren’t we paying more attention to UNC’s visit to Cameron tonight?
Because it would only make sense that the Tar Heels are going to pull the upset tonight.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)