Feb 15, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Louisville wins at home yet again, this time vs St. John’s 72-58. The Cardinals final 3 home games are Seton Hall, Cincinnati and Notre Dame — so Rick Pitino’s team winning out the rest of the way at the KFC Yum! Center is more than possible. So if Michael Carter-Williams misses that dunk on January 19th & Syracuse doesn’t pull off that miraculous win, Louisville had a chance at running the table at home this season.
2. Creighton is 20-6 and 9-5 in the MVC. Not a Top 25 team anymore, the three-game losing streak has the Bluejays ice-cold as they play at Evansville this weekend. Is this just a losing streak that will pass or has this team been overrated this season because of how great a player Doug McDermott is?
3. One stat that doesn’t mean much to me this year is three-point defensive field-goal percentage. I can’t remember a season when I’ve seen so many wide open three-point attempts not go in. Halftime scores are constantly in the 20′s nightly across the country. I’m noticing a lot of bad shooting rather than a lot of great perimeter defense.
4. In the MAAC, three games in the win column separate 1st place from 7th place. Other than St. Peter’s, Siena and Marist, everyone else is in the mix come conference tourney time with 7 or more league wins. Then again, the 7-18 Marist Red Foxes just beat 1st place Loyola and 2nd place Iona last week.
5. Wright State has been solid but the Horizon League clearly looks like it’s between Valparaiso and Detroit for the conference title. Huge game this weekend as Valpo hosts Detroit.
6. The Bounce Back win of the week goes to Tubby Smith and Minnesota. Heading into the Wisconsin game, the Gophers were 2-6 in their previous eight games and the early season buzz officially disappeared. But the five-point overtime win Thursday night vs No. 20 Wisconsin has Big Ten fans keeping an eye on this team yet again.
7. Speaking of the Big Ten, I’m curious to see how Iowa looks this weekend vs Minnesota. 5-7 in league is only good for 7th in the Big Ten but the Hawkeyes have lost several close games. Iowa and Minnesota may be better than we think.
8. For all the debate about who the #1 seeds are right now, have you tried looking at who the #2 seeds may be, compared to the #3 seeds? Miami, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Florida, Michigan State, Arizona, Butler and Louisville. Good luck sorting out those teams.
9. Washington State is 2-10 in the Pac 12. That’s not a Happy Valentine’s Day no matter how you look at it.
10. Game of the weekend: Ohio State at Wisconsin — 1pm — Sunday.
Follow Vin on Twitter @VinParise and check him out in studio for NBC Sports Network and SNY.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Arizona State announced Friday that guard Shaquielle McKissic has been granted an extra season of eligibility by the NCAA.
Apr 18, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT
Duke’s Rodney Hood made the news official Friday, announcing that he’ll be entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
Apr 18, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT
Family and friends of Lacey Holsworth gathered at the Breslin Center to celebrate her life on Thursday.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Kansas will hold a groundbreaking ceremony for the DeBruce Center on May 2nd.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
With the rise in graduate transfers, the NCAA is looking to change the immediate eligibility process.
Former Nevada forward Cole Huff free to transfer to non-Mountain West schools in southern California
Apr 17, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The number of schools that former Nevada forward Cole Huff is prohibited from transferring to has been cut down to 38 following an appeals hearing Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
NCAA tournament participants Cincinnati, Creighton and North Carolina Central part of eight-team field in inaugural Emerald Coast Classic.
Apr 17, 2014, 8:16 PM EDT
The order of protection filed against former Missouri forward Zach Price by Earnest Ross was thrown out Thursday.
Apr 17, 2014, 7:17 PM EDT
After leading Green Bay to a 24-win season, head coach Brian Wardle’s been rewarded with a new five-year contract.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT
Gonzaga’s added a fourth member to its 2014 recruiting class, with the son of Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis making his pledge to join the program.
Apr 17, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Former Houston players Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas met with an appeals committee Thursday in hopes of getting released from their respective scholarships.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
Rodney Hood is following Jabari Parker to the league.
Apr 17, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Is Frank Haith getting out of Missouri before they kick him out?
Apr 17, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
Kentucky is still waiting to hear from four players on their NBA decision.
Apr 17, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
UCLA will be a contender in the Pac-12 next season with Jordan Adams returning to school.
Apr 17, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
With less than stellar reviews from NBA folks, might the Harrisons be leaning towards a return to Lexington?
Apr 17, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Parker will be a top three pick in the draft.
Apr 17, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Jacksons path from Murray State to Southeastern Louisiana is wild.
Apr 17, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Hill wrote a nice note to Marquette fans to thank them.
Apr 17, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Five protesters from the Westboro Baptist Church showed up at UMass on Wednesday. 1,500 students rallied in response.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 5
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)