Feb 15, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
Vin Parise is a former assistant college coach and the college basketball insider for NBC Sports. Look for his Top 10 Tidbits every week.
1. Louisville wins at home yet again, this time vs St. John’s 72-58. The Cardinals final 3 home games are Seton Hall, Cincinnati and Notre Dame — so Rick Pitino’s team winning out the rest of the way at the KFC Yum! Center is more than possible. So if Michael Carter-Williams misses that dunk on January 19th & Syracuse doesn’t pull off that miraculous win, Louisville had a chance at running the table at home this season.
2. Creighton is 20-6 and 9-5 in the MVC. Not a Top 25 team anymore, the three-game losing streak has the Bluejays ice-cold as they play at Evansville this weekend. Is this just a losing streak that will pass or has this team been overrated this season because of how great a player Doug McDermott is?
3. One stat that doesn’t mean much to me this year is three-point defensive field-goal percentage. I can’t remember a season when I’ve seen so many wide open three-point attempts not go in. Halftime scores are constantly in the 20’s nightly across the country. I’m noticing a lot of bad shooting rather than a lot of great perimeter defense.
4. In the MAAC, three games in the win column separate 1st place from 7th place. Other than St. Peter’s, Siena and Marist, everyone else is in the mix come conference tourney time with 7 or more league wins. Then again, the 7-18 Marist Red Foxes just beat 1st place Loyola and 2nd place Iona last week.
5. Wright State has been solid but the Horizon League clearly looks like it’s between Valparaiso and Detroit for the conference title. Huge game this weekend as Valpo hosts Detroit.
6. The Bounce Back win of the week goes to Tubby Smith and Minnesota. Heading into the Wisconsin game, the Gophers were 2-6 in their previous eight games and the early season buzz officially disappeared. But the five-point overtime win Thursday night vs No. 20 Wisconsin has Big Ten fans keeping an eye on this team yet again.
7. Speaking of the Big Ten, I’m curious to see how Iowa looks this weekend vs Minnesota. 5-7 in league is only good for 7th in the Big Ten but the Hawkeyes have lost several close games. Iowa and Minnesota may be better than we think.
8. For all the debate about who the #1 seeds are right now, have you tried looking at who the #2 seeds may be, compared to the #3 seeds? Miami, Gonzaga, Syracuse, Florida, Michigan State, Arizona, Butler and Louisville. Good luck sorting out those teams.
9. Washington State is 2-10 in the Pac 12. That’s not a Happy Valentine’s Day no matter how you look at it.
10. Game of the weekend: Ohio State at Wisconsin — 1pm — Sunday.
Follow Vin on Twitter @VinParise and check him out in studio for NBC Sports Network and SNY.
May 22, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
UNC now has 90 days to craft a response to the NCAA’s allegations.
May 22, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
This isn’t the only addition UConn hopes to make to the 2016 class in the very near future.
May 22, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
The Wildcats will also take on Arizona State, UCLA and Ohio State in non-conference play.
May 22, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Mohamed and Bakersfield big man Aly Ahmed argued in 2013 that bad advice led to them being ruled ineligible that season at Houston and Bakersfield, respectively.
May 21, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
The slender forward joins Sacha Killeya-Jones, Ty Jerome and Kyle Guy in Virginia’s 2016 haul.
May 21, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
Davis joins grassroots teammate C.J. Williamson Jr. in Texas Tech’s 2015 recruiting haul.
May 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
UNC fell short in the race for Brandon Ingram, and the investigation was a big reason why.
May 21, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
John Calipari will coach against former assistant Orlando Antigua November 27 in Miami.
May 21, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
The Jonesboro, Georgia native averaged 11.9 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game as a redshirt junior at UALR.
May 21, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
Last spring Mark Turgeon was seen by some as being on the “hot seat.” This spring, one sports book believes he’s got the early favorite to win the national title in 2016.
May 21, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
Thanks a lot, Christian.
May 21, 2015, 2:09 PM EDT
Cal is always selling his program, and his latest viral quote is no different.
May 21, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
It’s not as weird as it sounds.
May 21, 2015, 12:40 PM EDT
Holman was expected to spend 2015-16 at a prep school.
May 21, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
These are pretty funny.
May 21, 2015, 10:34 AM EDT
But this overt display of ‘amateurism’ may actually be good for the fight for student-athlete rights.
May 21, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The Red Storm are now up to seven newcomers with this addition.
May 20, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
While Chicago has been discussed for quite some time as a franchise that may approach “The Mayor,” they still have a head coach in Tom Thibodeau.
May 20, 2015, 7:55 PM EDT
Jones was suspended two weeks after the team’s season came to an end.
May 20, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
The news came one day after former Liberty forward Tomasz Gielo transferred to Ole Miss.
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 0
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 0
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the Big East’s offseason 3
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (6)
- NCAA rules committee proposes 30-second shot clock, fewer timeouts (5)
- St. John’s lands 2015 point guard Marcus LoVett Jr. (4)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (4)