Feb 15, 2013, 2:55 PM EST
Senior center Andrew Smith, who missed No. 11 Butler’s game against Charlotte on Wednesday due to an abdominal injury, has been cleared to return to practice and is a game-time decision for Saturday’s game at Fordham according to a school release.
Smith suffered the injury going after a loose ball in the Bulldogs’ 59-56 win at George Washington last Saturday, and early reports had the 6-8 senior sitting out both of Butler’s games this week.
“Andrew has progressed more quickly than expected,” Butler head coach Brad Stevens said in the release. “Whether or not he’ll play at Fordham will be a game day decision.”
On the season Smith’s averaging 11.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, connecting on 54.3% of his shots from the field. Without Smith on Wednesday, junior forward Erik Fromm moved into the starting lineup and played well, finishing with 13 points and nine rebounds in 24 minutes of action.
On the season Fromm’s averaging 4.0 points and and 3.1 rebounds in 12.4 minutes per game for Butler, who will be a prohibitive favorite to beat Fordham on Saturday whether Smith plays or not. But as seen in Duquesne’s surprising win at Temple on Thursday night, nothing is to be taken for granted in the Atlantic 10.
Butler still has games against Saint Louis, VCU and UMass (the VCU and UMass games are on the road) remaining on the regular season schedule, and they’ll need Smith to be at full strength for those matchups.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)