Feb 15, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
Senior center Andrew Smith, who missed No. 11 Butler’s game against Charlotte on Wednesday due to an abdominal injury, has been cleared to return to practice and is a game-time decision for Saturday’s game at Fordham according to a school release.
Smith suffered the injury going after a loose ball in the Bulldogs’ 59-56 win at George Washington last Saturday, and early reports had the 6-8 senior sitting out both of Butler’s games this week.
“Andrew has progressed more quickly than expected,” Butler head coach Brad Stevens said in the release. “Whether or not he’ll play at Fordham will be a game day decision.”
On the season Smith’s averaging 11.4 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, connecting on 54.3% of his shots from the field. Without Smith on Wednesday, junior forward Erik Fromm moved into the starting lineup and played well, finishing with 13 points and nine rebounds in 24 minutes of action.
On the season Fromm’s averaging 4.0 points and and 3.1 rebounds in 12.4 minutes per game for Butler, who will be a prohibitive favorite to beat Fordham on Saturday whether Smith plays or not. But as seen in Duquesne’s surprising win at Temple on Thursday night, nothing is to be taken for granted in the Atlantic 10.
Butler still has games against Saint Louis, VCU and UMass (the VCU and UMass games are on the road) remaining on the regular season schedule, and they’ll need Smith to be at full strength for those matchups.
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 0
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)