Feb 15, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
Michigan State shares first place in the Big Ten standings with top-ranked Indiana and are coming off a dismantling of Michigan on Tuesday night.
While the Spartans are rolling, senior captain Derrick Nix feels like they aren’t getting the respect they deserve.
“I don’t know if it’s us as players, I don’t know if it’s Michigan State, I just don’t know what it is,” Nix told reporters on Thursday. “I just feel like none of us get credit.
“If Michigan would have won, Trey Burke would have been God, Tim Hardaway would have been God, Glenn Robinson would have been God … we won, and they didn’t even show our highlights, it’s pitiful.”
Nix, who scored 14 points and grabbed five rebounds in the Spartans’ 75-52 win against the Wolverines, went on to say Branden Dawson is no different than Victor Oladipo, while also comparing Adreian Payne to Cody Zeller, Keith Appling to Trey Burke, Gary Harris to Shabazz Muhammad and himself to Reggie Johnson, wondering why those players were on the draft boards and he and his fellow Spartans weren’t.
“Michigan State is always the underdog,” added Nix.
You can admire the confidence and support Nix has in his teammates, and he’s got a point, Michigan State may have been pushed out of the spotlight in a wild Big Ten season. But why worry about the ink or attention now?
Michigan State is currently playing its best basketball — winners of four straight and 10 of its last 11 games. Embrace the underdog label, and use it as a chip on your shoulder moving forward. The Spartans are in position to win the arguably the toughest conference in the nation, and have one of the best tournament coaches of all time in Tom Izzo.
After Saturday’s road game against Nebraska, Nix and the Spartans get to prove whether or not they truly are overlooked with four consecutive games against ranked opponents — Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Which new coaching hires will succeed? 0
- No longer supplementary pieces, two Texans will lead the way at Weber State 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Weber State won’t lack for challengers in Big Sky 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Mid-Major Power Rankings (1)