Feb 15, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
South Carolina coach Frank Martin was less than pleased with his team’s performance in Thursday’s 64-46 loss to LSU. The Gamecocks are now tied for the bottom spot in the SEC, and are currently riding a five-game losing streak.
When Frank Martin left Kansas State for South Carolina it was clear that this season had the makings of a frustrating one for the first-year coach. It didn’t start well, when the Gamecocks needed overtime to beat Milwaukee on opening night. A lost to Elon less than two weeks later didn’t help either. South Carolina has now lost seven of eight and Thursday’s loss may have been the tipping point for Martin.
In the post game press conference the South Carolina coach didn’t hold back as he ripped his team apart, with all of his press conference quotes being transcribed by Darryl Slater of The Post and Courier:
“If you take (point guard) Bruce Ellington off our team, you’d probably have the 12 leading candidates for the starring roles in The Return of the Living Dead, the zombie movie,” he said. “If you took Bruce off our team, our guys would probably win an Academy (Award) for their performance in that movie. I’ve been doing this for 28 years, nine of which as a junior varsity high school coach. That means I’ve dealt with 14-year-olds. I’ve never been more embarrassed to call myself a basketball coach than I am today.
“If this was the NBA, we’d fine them, we’d take their money, we’d release them and say, ‘Good luck with ever finding another job.’ It’s not the NBA.
Here’s the entire rant in a video from Matt Norlander of CBS:
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (4)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)