Feb 15, 2013, 7:50 PM EDT
South Carolina coach Frank Martin was less than pleased with his team’s performance in Thursday’s 64-46 loss to LSU. The Gamecocks are now tied for the bottom spot in the SEC, and are currently riding a five-game losing streak.
When Frank Martin left Kansas State for South Carolina it was clear that this season had the makings of a frustrating one for the first-year coach. It didn’t start well, when the Gamecocks needed overtime to beat Milwaukee on opening night. A lost to Elon less than two weeks later didn’t help either. South Carolina has now lost seven of eight and Thursday’s loss may have been the tipping point for Martin.
In the post game press conference the South Carolina coach didn’t hold back as he ripped his team apart, with all of his press conference quotes being transcribed by Darryl Slater of The Post and Courier:
“If you take (point guard) Bruce Ellington off our team, you’d probably have the 12 leading candidates for the starring roles in The Return of the Living Dead, the zombie movie,” he said. “If you took Bruce off our team, our guys would probably win an Academy (Award) for their performance in that movie. I’ve been doing this for 28 years, nine of which as a junior varsity high school coach. That means I’ve dealt with 14-year-olds. I’ve never been more embarrassed to call myself a basketball coach than I am today.
“If this was the NBA, we’d fine them, we’d take their money, we’d release them and say, ‘Good luck with ever finding another job.’ It’s not the NBA.
Here’s the entire rant in a video from Matt Norlander of CBS:
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)