Feb 15, 2013, 6:43 PM EST
A week after visiting Texas and just weeks before a potential return to the floor, one of the nation’s top recruits Julius Randle (Prestonwood Christian/Plano, Texas) will take an official visit to Kansas this weekend.
The Jayhawks are in contention for Randle’s services along with Florida, Kentucky, Texas and N.C. State and he has previously visited each of those four schools, the most recent being Texas last weekend.
The 6-foot-9 power forward is considered the second-best player in the nation behind Andrew Wiggins, according to Rivals.com. However, Randle’s season has been limited due to a foot injury he suffered just after Thanksgiving. According to Rustin Dodd of The Kansas City Star, Randle could return to the floor by the end of the month.
Randle and Wiggins are the last two players Kansas is recruiting, and as Dodd pointed out Kansas only has one scholarship remaining for next season. In all likelihood there will be another one available when Ben McLemore declares for the NBA Draft.
Wiggins is the consensus No. 1 player in the Class of 2013, but Randle will add more size to Bill Self’s incoming class which features one big man and four perimeter players.
Joel Emiid, a 6-foot-11 center, guards Conner Frankamp, Frank Mason, Brannen Greene and McDonald’s All-American Wayne Selden make up the current Jayhawk recruiting class.
Randle will be at Phog Allen Fieldhouse for Saturday’s game against Texas, which will be the site of ESPN’s College Gameday. At halftime Mario Chalmers will have his jersey retired.
UPDATE (11:09 P.M.): Julius Randle did suit up Friday night for the first time since November, before going on his visit to Kansas, according to Jason Jordan of USA Today:
Julius Randle (@j30_randle) finished with 19 pts, 10 reb, 3 asst in a big win. Played half the game. I think it’s safe to say “He’s back.”
— Jason Jordan (@JayJayUSATODAY) February 16, 2013
- Justin Anderson out this weekend after undergoing appendectomy 0
- West Coast Conference Tournament Preview and Postseason Awards 0
- Film Session: Who can actually beat Kentucky and why 0
- Potential NCAA tournament bid thieves bubble teams should be rooting against 1
- Bubble Banter: Why LSU losing is bad news for Texas A&M 2
- Bonzie Colson continues hot streak as No. 12 Notre Dame wins at No. 16 Louisville 2
- Potential Cinderellas you want to win their automatic bid 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: How far will Wisconsin and Gonzaga fall? (26)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (16)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Mike Krzyzewski refuses comment on Rasheed Sulaimon sexual assault allegations (10)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)