Feb 15, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Given the lack of high-profile wins on their resume, Maryland’s home game against No. 2 Duke is a critical one for Mark Turgeon’s Terrapins.
And if they’re to beat Duke the Terrapins will have to do so without junior guard Pe’Shon Howard, who has been suspended for a violation of team rules. Howard has struggled this season at the point, and Turgeon noted in his meeting with the media on Friday that there’s no guarantee that the suspension will be for just one game.
Turgeon said Howard is “not making very smart decisions. We’ve got team rules you’ve got to follow. We’ll sit him out this game.”
The coach wouldn’t specify what rules may have been violated. He said Howard will be re-evaluated after this weekend, and that his suspension could last just one game, or perhaps several games.
Howard’s productivity has dropped significantly, as he’s playing ten fewer minutes per game (22.0) this season and averaging 3.3 points and 4.2 assists per contest. The assist number is higher than his average last season (3.7 apg) but he’s shooting 28.6% from the field and 26.3% from beyond the arc.
Turgeon has used three different players at the point this season: Howard, freshman Seth Allen and sophomore Nick Faust. With Howard suspended Allen will see more time at the point, with Faust likely getting the start after doing so in Maryland’s 80-69 loss to Virginia on Sunday.
Faust finished with eight points, three assists and two turnovers against Virginia, and Allen contributed 11 points, five assists, five steals and three turnovers off the bench. Howard finished Sunday’s game with five points and two assists in 17 minutes of action, and Turgeon stated on Friday that the junior has played better coming off the bench.
“He’s just got to make better decisions,” Turgeon said of Howard according to J.P. Finlay of CSNWashington. “He’ll miss one game, maybe two, maybe three. I want him to learn from his decisions.”
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- July Live Period Preview: The events to keep an eye on in Vegas this week 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- Maryland fans still hate Mike Krzyzewski (8)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Are college teams going to be available on NBA 2K? (3)