Feb 15, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Given the lack of high-profile wins on their resume, Maryland’s home game against No. 2 Duke is a critical one for Mark Turgeon’s Terrapins.
And if they’re to beat Duke the Terrapins will have to do so without junior guard Pe’Shon Howard, who has been suspended for a violation of team rules. Howard has struggled this season at the point, and Turgeon noted in his meeting with the media on Friday that there’s no guarantee that the suspension will be for just one game.
Turgeon said Howard is “not making very smart decisions. We’ve got team rules you’ve got to follow. We’ll sit him out this game.”
The coach wouldn’t specify what rules may have been violated. He said Howard will be re-evaluated after this weekend, and that his suspension could last just one game, or perhaps several games.
Howard’s productivity has dropped significantly, as he’s playing ten fewer minutes per game (22.0) this season and averaging 3.3 points and 4.2 assists per contest. The assist number is higher than his average last season (3.7 apg) but he’s shooting 28.6% from the field and 26.3% from beyond the arc.
Turgeon has used three different players at the point this season: Howard, freshman Seth Allen and sophomore Nick Faust. With Howard suspended Allen will see more time at the point, with Faust likely getting the start after doing so in Maryland’s 80-69 loss to Virginia on Sunday.
Faust finished with eight points, three assists and two turnovers against Virginia, and Allen contributed 11 points, five assists, five steals and three turnovers off the bench. Howard finished Sunday’s game with five points and two assists in 17 minutes of action, and Turgeon stated on Friday that the junior has played better coming off the bench.
“He’s just got to make better decisions,” Turgeon said of Howard according to J.P. Finlay of CSNWashington. “He’ll miss one game, maybe two, maybe three. I want him to learn from his decisions.”
- Jabari Parker on a potential move to two-and-done: ‘I think that’s ridiculous’ 4
- John Calipari appears on ‘The Colbert Report’ (VIDEO) 1
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 3
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle entering NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)