Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 AM EDT
Sometimes a team simply needs to cut loose, and that may have been the case for Minnesota following their 58-53 overtime win over No. 20 Wisconsin on Thursday night.
Tubby Smith’s team was 2-6 in the eight games prior, and another loss would have widened the gap between the Golden Gophers and the top five teams in the Big Ten standings. But a key Badger turnover opened the door for Minnesota to get the game into overtime, where a key Andre Hollins three-pointer proved to be the difference.
And following the win Minnesota celebrated by dancing to “Die Young” by Ke$ha.
Was the song a mere coincidence, or was there “motivation” for the choice? Wisconsin played (and danced to) the same song in their locker room following their win over then-No. 3 Michigan last Saturday.
Regardless of why Minnesota chose the song, the three-plus weeks leading up to Thursday’s win raised the stakes for the Golden Gophers. And after finally getting over the hump the team felt the need to release some of that pent-up emotion.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights