Feb 15, 2013, 10:58 AM EST
Sometimes a team simply needs to cut loose, and that may have been the case for Minnesota following their 58-53 overtime win over No. 20 Wisconsin on Thursday night.
Tubby Smith’s team was 2-6 in the eight games prior, and another loss would have widened the gap between the Golden Gophers and the top five teams in the Big Ten standings. But a key Badger turnover opened the door for Minnesota to get the game into overtime, where a key Andre Hollins three-pointer proved to be the difference.
And following the win Minnesota celebrated by dancing to “Die Young” by Ke$ha.
Was the song a mere coincidence, or was there “motivation” for the choice? Wisconsin played (and danced to) the same song in their locker room following their win over then-No. 3 Michigan last Saturday.
Regardless of why Minnesota chose the song, the three-plus weeks leading up to Thursday’s win raised the stakes for the Golden Gophers. And after finally getting over the hump the team felt the need to release some of that pent-up emotion.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 29
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (29)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)