Feb 15, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
(Click on the bracket to enlarge it)
I spent 15 hours over the past two locked in a room with 19 other writers going through the (expedited) process that the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee goes through to build the country’s most anticipated bracket.
To avoid driving home the same points that have been made by every writer that has attended the construction of the mock bracket over the eight years it has been in existence, I’m not here to pound home the point that the RPI is forever going to be intertwined with the NCAA Tournament or harp on the fact that, yeah, the bubble is GROSS this season.
I know this and you know this.
But there were a couple of interesting things that I learned during the process that I believe are worth sharing:
1. Bracketing is a nightmare. You know all those conspiracy theories about the NCAA grouping mid-major teams together to get them out of the bracket? Well, it’s a natural result of the process. Teams from the same conference can’t play each other before the Sweet 16, which severely limits where some of them can be placed in the bracket. Mid-major programs and teams from one or two bid leagues have it easier because they don’t get locked into or blocked from certain spots in the bracket. For example, in our bracket, Wichita State ended up being paired with Belmont because of difficulties we had slotting some of the ten seeds.
2. There is no such thing as an S-Curve. It’s called the “seed list”. And it doesn’t matter whether or not the top No. 1 seed and the top No. 2 seed get put into the same region. It’s all about location and distance to the tournament sites.
3. The timing of the four tournament title games on Sunday are a real pain for the committee. The Big Ten’s title game ends less than an hour before the bracket is unveiled on CBS. What that means is that they build contingency brackets throughout the day on Sunday. Mike Bobinski, the Athletic Director at Xavier and the Chair of the Selection Committee, said that one year the committee had to build six contingency brackets at the same time. That sounds fun.
4. Everything in the process is based on facts, but how much different members of the committee value different aspects of a profile is incredible. Some want to see a strong schedule and consistent performance. Some value big wins and are willing to look off bad losses. You’re looking at the nitty gritty reports, but everyone sees something different.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
With the number of guards in the Kansas program, playing time was likely to be scarce for Conner Frankamp.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Isaac Fotu’s part of the NCAA’s investigation into the program, and other schools have attempted to poach some of Hawaii’s remaining players.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Virginia is coming off of a dual-ACC title and returns the majority of the key players from that team.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:37 AM EDT
No surprise that Kentucky’s on top. Also of note: No. 3 Wisconsin received more first-place votes than No. 2 Arizona.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
The Cincinnati transfer was expected to factor into a rotation that’s replacing five seniors from last season’s team.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Is this team better than Philly?
Oct 30, 2014, 11:53 PM EDT
Quick action by construction workers ensured that it was declared ready for play two days after being flooded.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:41 PM EDT
Some officials are in hot water after compromising a system used by 20 different Division I conferences.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:58 PM EDT
Saint Louis adds more depth to its front court with this verbal commitment.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
I can do that.
Oct 30, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
John Egbunu was an American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team selection at USF last season.
Oct 30, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The Preseason Atlantic 10 Player of the Year is looking to lead VCU deep into March.
Oct 30, 2014, 5:55 PM EDT
Chris Clarke is a perfect fit for Donnie Tyndall.
Oct 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
The Golden Griffins have to account for the loss of four starters from last season’s 21-win team.
Oct 30, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Feel free to take this as my challenge to you all.
Oct 30, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
North Carolina should be a national title contender, but they do have some question marks.
Oct 30, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Dayton head coach Archie Miller spurned high-major programs to remain at Atlantic 10. He’s not the only one in the league happy with where they are.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Pollard is looking to reignite his career at Houston this season.
Oct 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Atlantic 10 is out to gain respect again this season from the rest of the college basketball world, a year after the league saw a record six teams selected for the NCAA tournament with one team reaching the Elite 8.
Oct 30, 2014, 10:13 AM EDT
Kemba being Kemba.
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)