Feb 15, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
Oregon freshman point guard Dominic Artis hasn’t played since Jan. 23 and that won’t change this weekend against Washington State.
The No. 23 Ducks improved to 3-3 without Artis in the lineup after a 65-52 win against Washington on Wednesday. The 6-foot-1 first-year guard was averaging 10.2 points and a team-high 3.8 assists per game, leading Oregon to a 17-2 start. Oregon is averaging over 17 turnovers a game over this seven-game stretch without Artis running the show, coughing the ball up 20 or more times in three of those games.
Oregon still sits atop the Pac-12 Conference, but not by much. UCLA and Arizona are tied for second place and trail by only a game. Both UCLA and Arizona provided a reason why the Ducks shouldn’t overlook the last place Cougars in Saturday’s matchup in Pullman. The Bruins and Wildcats both lost on the road Thursday night — UCLA lost by 13 to Cal and Colorado got revenge against Arizona.
“Any time anybody goes on the road, a lot of different things can happen,” Altman said on Friday. “You got to get focused and get ready — just like we have to be for Washington Sate on Saturday.”
Oregon has won two straight since dropping three straight, but is barely holding on to the conference’s top spot. Artis returning to the lineup can’t come soon enough.
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)