Feb 16, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
Cadets at the Air Force Academy are used to flying high, but this is ridiculous.
Michael Lyons, who has been a scoring machine all season long for the Falcons, put on a big-time show for his home crowd, scoring 45 points in a 89-86 shootout loss to Mountain West leader Colorado State today. His line was predictably insane: 17-25 from the floor overall, 6-13 from deep and 5-9 from the free throw line. He did little else but score, grabbing just two boards and one steal, and giving away two turnovers to zero assists.
Lyons’ performance was the third highest individual point total this season, just behind Nate Wolters (53 points) and Travis Bader (47), both of whom ply their trade in the Summit League.
The Rams, who have held steady atop the wild Mountain West, countered Lyons’ heroics with the solid team play they’ve become known for under Larry Eustachy. All five starters scored in double figures, led by Dorian Green’s 22.
This was a huge win for Colorado State, running their winning streak to six straight games. The Rams – 8-2 in league play and currently No. 24 in the nation – are trying to keep pace with N0. 19 New Mexico, which takes an identical 8-2 record into a home game against Boise State tonight. Should the Lobos stumble, CSU will be in the driver’s seat.
Lyons’ Falcons fell to 6-5 in the league and will likely have to run the table in the MWC tournament to get a shot at the Big Dance.
Eric Angevine is editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)