Feb 16, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
North Carolina freshman Joel James has not been cleared to play and will be unavailable for the Tar Heels when they take on Virginia, the school announced Saturday.
James missed North Carolina’s game Wednesday against Duke, a 73-68 loss at Cameron Indoor. According to the school, he suffered a blow to the head on Feb. 5 in North Carolina’s win over Wake Forest, but did not tell team trainers of his symptoms until Monday. In the mean time, he played nine minutes in a loss to Miami.
On the year, the 6-10, 260-pound James is averaging 2.7 points and 2.9 rebounds in just over 11 minutes per game. His best game of the season came Nov. 11 against Florida Atlantic when he scored 11 points and grabbed nine rebounds.
Without James available against Duke, North Carolina went with a much smaller lineup, essentially keeping to a six-man rotation with James Michael McAdoo as the lone interior presence.
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- AAU Nationals Friday Recap: Event moves to Louisville, Bruce Brown plays well, Noah Dickerson updates recruitment 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Class of 2015 Draft 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships 3
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Mixtape for Ben Simmons, who proves he’s 2015′s No. 1 player (VIDEO) (2)