Feb 16, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
For Big 12 fans, this is one of those days that plays out perfectly.
Three teams are wrangling for the league lead, and all three play on the same day, evenly spaced so that nobody has to miss a minute of each crucial televised game.
Oklahoma State kicked things off this morning, taking a hard-fought overtime victory over Oklahoma in the Bedlam Series and moving to 9-3 in league play. They were alone atop the Big 12 standings for a few hours, then Kansas State tore up an already ragged Baylor team 81-61 in the Octagon of Doom to make it a two-way tie.
Guard play ruled the day for the Wildcats, with Angel Rodriguez breaking out for 22 points and 10 assists. Rodriguez has played second or third fiddle to Rodney McGruder much of the season, but tonight he showed the type of court vision and aggressiveness that makes K-State a favorite to wrest the Big 12 title from the Kansas Jayhawks.
Rodriguez wasn’t alone in playing well for K-State. Shane Southwell (18 points) and McGruder (10) did their part, and Jordan Henriquez (10 points, 10 rebounds and five blocks) was huge.
Perhaps most encouraging for the long-term success of the Wildcats this season was the razor-sharp execution that was evident from start to finish against a talented if directionless Baylor team. Even backups Martavious Irving and Thomas Gipson got in on the action, teaming for a beautiful bounce pass and lay-in.
The Big 12 race can remain a three-way if Kansas beats Texas (with Myck Kabongo this time around) tonight. Should the Jayhawks – who have looked very vulnerable this year – lose, expect the Cowboys and Wildcats to go hard at it in hopes of leading the changing of the guard. The best news? K-State and Oklahoma State meet one another in each team’s final game of the regular season.
Should be a barn-burner. As a native Midwesterner, I use the term advisedly.
Eric Angevine is the editor of Storming the Floor. He tweets @stfhoops.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:54 PM EST
Without Jordan McLaughlin, USC will have to rely on Julian Jacobs at the point in their final two regular season games.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:50 PM EST
In addition to a ruptured plantar fascia suffered in a loss to Florida in late-January, Ricky Tarrant also needs to undergo a procedure on his left knee.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
Boeheim doesn’t seem pleased about the ruling.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:45 PM EST
This borders on criminal.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:37 PM EST
There aren’t many surprises here.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:54 PM EST
SMU will also be making a trip to visit Memphis.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:58 AM EST
This is incredible.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:19 AM EST
These are more understated than recent adidas uniforms.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 AM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 8:26 AM EST
Chris Jones was dismissed from the team on Sunday.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:38 AM EST
And No. 2 Virginia limited Wake Forest to 21.8% shooting without two starters.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EST
The Duke defense is the biggest red flag on any true contender.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
Scott Drew’s Bears went on an 18-4 second half run to take control of the game, hitting six three-pointers.
Feb 25, 2015, 9:57 PM EST
Here are Wednesday’s bubble winners and losers.
Feb 25, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
Big 12 Commissioner Bob Bowlsby also notes that the conference is having conversations regarding possible protocols for situations in which fans rush the court.
Feb 25, 2015, 6:14 PM EST
The CBI becomes the second postseason event to announce that it will use a 30-second shot clock this spring.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:02 PM EST
The shirts are cool, but just as important is getting enough fans in seats to make a difference against Florida State.
Feb 25, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
This loss is a massive blow to Wisconsin’s chances of getting a No. 1 seed.
Feb 25, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Currie discusses what went wrong on Monday night.
Feb 25, 2015, 1:23 PM EST
Is Iowa State the favorite to win the Big 12 now?
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 11
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 3
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Syracuse upsets No. 8 Notre Dame in an inspired ACC road effort 0
- You Make The Call: Did Marcus Paige get fouled on North Carolina’s last possession? (17)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Report: Big Ten looking into idea of making freshmen ineligible for competition in football, men’s basketball (11)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (11)