Feb 16, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
Game of the Day
No. 18 Marquette 79, N0. 16 Pittsburgh 69: Vander Blue has really been asserting himself in Big East play, and today he helped the Golden Eagles protect the
Batcave Bradley Center, a place where Marquette hasn’t lost in 23 straight games. That’s important, because Buzz Williams and company play four of their last six games at home. The Golden Eagles are currently 9-3 and tied with Georgetown for the league lead.
Tennessee 88, No. 25 Kentucky 58: We knew Nerlens Noel was important to the Wildcats, but holy moley. This is a Tennessee team that, in general, does not shoot well at all. In this game? Fifty-eight percent from the floor, which can be somewhat attributed to the absence of Kentucky’s star center, though the Vols have lost to nine other teams this season who didn’t have Noel on their rosters. But Kentucky’s problems start with guard play, and the perimeter defense in this game was execrable. Tennessee was 5-5 for a perfect 100 percent from deep, and held UK’s nominal point guards – Jarrod Polson and Ryan Harrow – without a single assist. This could be the last time this season we see John Calipari’s defending champions with a number next to the team name.
Providence 71, No. 21 Notre Dame 54: Is there a team in the nation more evocative of multiple personality disorder than the Irish? This week they were all heart and guts in a quintuple-OT win over Louisville. They followed that big win with a single overtime in which they struggled to beat a mediocre DePaul team in South Bend, and now this lopsided loss on the road. It’s not going to get any easier, either – three road games against ranked foes await. Providence, on the other hand, is on a roll.
North Carolina 93, Virginia 81: The distance between Miami, Duke, NC State and the rest of the ACC just seems to get wider every day. Virginia seemed poised to get into the at-large conversation once and for all with an upset of the Wolfpack, then slid back to the pack with this loss. UNC, also struggling to build a tourney-worthy resume, got a plus mark on their ledger.
No. 17 Oklahoma State 84, Oklahoma 79: Bedlam is always a great show, and the Cowboys came out shooting in this renewal of the rivalry. Marcus Smart and Le’Bryan Nash combined for 54 points as they downed their in-state rival and firmed up their standing in the Big 12 race, where they’re currently a half game ahead of both Kansas and Kansas State.
Games of the Night
6:00 Duke at Maryland (ESPN)
6:00 Detroit at Valparaiso (ESPN2)
7:00 Baylor at Kansas State (ESPNU)
7:00 Oregon at Washington (Pac-12 Network)
7:00 Princeton at Harvard (NBCSports)
8:00 Michigan State at Nebraska (BigTen)
8:00 Memphis at Marshall (CBSSports)
8:00 Georgia at Ole Miss (ESPN2)
9:00 Texas at Kansas (ESPN)
9:00 Arizona State at Colorado (ESPNU)
9:00 San Diego State at UNLV (NBCSports)
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)