Feb 16, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
At this point, you should expect that every single game that Oklahoma State plays will end up being a thriller, and it was no different on Saturday night as they took on in-state rival Oklahoma in the Bedlam Rivalry.
Marcus Smart finished with 28 points, seven boards, four assists, two steals and seemingly every big play down the stretch of regulation to lead No. 17 Oklahoma State as they knocked off Oklahoma 84-79 in OT.
The win bumps the Sooners into sole possession of first place in the Big 12 — as of now, they are a half-game in front of Kansas and Kansas State, both of whom have yet to play on Saturday — but there’s much more at play here.
For starters, we now know that Le’Bryan Nash isn’t, in fact, hibernating. He’s had an up-and-down season, partially due to how good Smart and Markel Brown has been this season. But on Saturday, his team needed him, and he responded with 26 points and five boards. More importantly, Nash took over in overtime, scoring the first seven points and giving the Pokes a lead that they wouldn’t relinquish.
It was also nice to see the versatility of the lineups that Travis Ford has at his disposal. Phil Jurick is the rim-protector on this OSU team, but in a situation where the Cowboys were forced to play against a team with two periemter-oriented big men, Ford was able to use Kamari Murphy and Michael Cobbins together, even sliding Nash over to the four spot for stretches.
Oklahoma State has put themselves into a position where they control their own destiny in the Big 12. They still need to play Kansas and Kansas State once more, but they’ll get both the Jayhawks and the Wildcats in Gallagher-Iba. Their one tough road trip — at Iowa State — is a doozy, but the Pokes have already won at Phog Allen fieldhouse.
Oh, and should I mention that they just got Brian Williams back?
Keep an eye on this Oklahoma State team. They’re going to be dangerous in March.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)