Feb 16, 2013, 1:59 PM EDT
There may not be a team in the country that is as hot as Providence is right now.
After beating No. 21 Notre Dame 71-54 on Saturday afternoon, the Friars have now won four straight in the Big East, which includes a 54-50 win over then-No. 17 Cincinnati last Wednesday. In fact, if you look at their last 12 games — a stretch where Providence has gone just 6-6, including this four-game winning streak — Providence hasn’t lost by more than 10 points since Louisville visited them on the day after New Years.
When you’re dropping six out of eight, that’s not really all that impressive of a stat.
But when you’re Providence, a team that has been a bottom-feeder in the Big East, it’s most certainly a good sign.
The Friars have been competitive all season long, and now they’re finally learning how to win games. They’ve spent much of this season banged up, two of their most talented additions over the summer — Ricky Ledo and Sidiki Johnson — are not playing right now, and their most talented recruit — Kris Dunn — is actually the third best guard on the roster.
Providence is still at least a year away, but the improvement of this team is inarguable. Ed Cooley has proven that he’s able to recruit, and the Northeast has quite a bit of talent right now, especially when you factor in all the high-powered prep schools in the area.
Providence has been a punch-line during the demise of the Big East and conference realignment.
But if you read between this lines, this is a program that appears ready to return to the national stage.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The tallest player in high school basketball has some visits set.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Missouri will move on with team-related activities without two freshmen following an arrest.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Arizona State has cut ties with a junior college forward and 2015 recruit was who arrested over the weekend.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Bo Ryan shows he’s a big man on campus at Wisconsin following his Final Four appearance.
Sep 16, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Jalen Rose says that former teammates Chris Webber needs to apologize.
Sep 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
The Longhorns pull in a commitment from a good guard in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 5:46 PM EDT
Kevin Stallings has earned four commitments in 2015.
Sep 16, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
The five-star recruit decommitted from Louisville, and what it has to do with shoe companies.
Sep 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
There are also a limited number of ugly road weeks.
Sep 16, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Wojcik was fired with cause for allegedly abusing his players.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 AM EDT
Mudiays $1.2 million deal with a team in China will now be significantly supplemented.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Have you ever seen ‘Goodfellas’? You’ll recognize one of the main players in this story.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Ivan Rabb is one of the best centers in the country.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney has opened it back up.
Sep 15, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
The Bearcats added a 2015 recruit on Monday night.
Sep 15, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Kansas begins a two-week Boot Camp today.
Sep 15, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Shaquille Johnson is in trouble at his new home.
Sep 15, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Things are getting interesting between the Pitinos as we get closer to the Minnesota and Louisville game.
Sep 15, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Florida International had some bad luck over the weekend.
Sep 15, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Charlotte head coach Alan Major has returned to the team.
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 1
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 0
- Top prospect in Class of 2014 signs endorsement deal with Under Armour 0
- Five-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney decommits from Louisville 3
- Richard Pitino warns Minnesota fans not to trust his dad before Louisville opener 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UConn and Arizona land 2015 big men, 2015 commitments flying off the board 0
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ 4
- Former Indiana guard A.J. Guyton writes an open letter to Bob Knight (6)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)
- Four-star power forward becomes Indiana’s first 2015 commitment (3)