Feb 17, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Creighton forward Doug McDermott has been met with almost nothing but praise since he arrived on campus in 2010. Now, he has joined elite company.
McDermott scored his 2,000th career point Saturday in a win over Evansville, becoming just the third player in Missouri Valley history to reach that milestone through three collegiate seasons. The other two both went on to become NBA legends and Hall of Famers, Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson.
Bird played three seasons at Indiana State, averaging an incredible 30.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game. He was named the AP Player of the Year and won the John R. Wooden Award in 1978-79. He was also a First Team All-American selection.
Robertson played for Cincinnati from 1957-60, which at the time was a member of the Missouri Valley Conference. He averaged 35.1 points per game in his freshman season and finished his career having averaged 33.8 points, 15.2 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game. He was a First Team All-American in all three seasons and was named the Sporting News Player of the Year three times.
McDermott is averaging 22.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per game this season and is a leading candidate for the National Player of the Year award. After a win Saturday, Creighton is 21-6 and 10-5 in Missouri Valley play.
Whereas Robertson and Bird were both Top 10 picks in their respective NBA drafts, McDermott could have a more uphill battle when he decides to go pro. DraftExpress currently predicts McDermott will go 46th overall in the 2013 draft, were he to declare, being selected in the middle of the second round without a contract guarantee.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
Rick Barnes spoke publicly for the first time about accusations levied against Texas.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
A very weak class has some decent guards.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EDT
Sindarius Thornwell and TeMarcus Blanton both underwent surgery this offseason.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum led the way for the Americans.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:26 AM EDT
Cal’s name seems to always pop up in the NBA.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
It will be expanded into a full-length movie.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s fun to watch Tacko Fall dominate high school competition.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Maverick Rowan is reportedly focused on three schools.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
UCF is losing its third-leading scorer from last season to transfer.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Xavier landed a three-star forward on Monday.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Former Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg returned to Hilton Coliseum to give one final pre-game speech before a fantasy camp.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
It should not be a surprise who the best player from this class ended up being.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Tony Hawk approves this court.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Ryan has never finished below fourth in the Big Ten.
Jun 29, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Mullin has completely turned over the St. John’s roster.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:27 AM EDT
Knight’s most famous outburst may be lost to history.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:26 AM EDT
There are 22 total players participating in the trials.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Steve Alford now has a pair of 2017 commitments.
Jun 28, 2015, 10:01 PM EDT
This is a very well thought-out statement from Martin.
Jun 28, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Johnny Jones has done an excellent job of recruiting his state in recent years.
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- Karl-Anthony Towns becomes Kentucky’s third top overall pick in program history 1
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- Five-star guard to announce college choice Wednesday evening (5)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)