Feb 17, 2013, 1:10 PM EST
Creighton forward Doug McDermott has been met with almost nothing but praise since he arrived on campus in 2010. Now, he has joined elite company.
McDermott scored his 2,000th career point Saturday in a win over Evansville, becoming just the third player in Missouri Valley history to reach that milestone through three collegiate seasons. The other two both went on to become NBA legends and Hall of Famers, Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson.
Bird played three seasons at Indiana State, averaging an incredible 30.3 points, 13.3 rebounds, and 4.6 assists per game. He was named the AP Player of the Year and won the John R. Wooden Award in 1978-79. He was also a First Team All-American selection.
Robertson played for Cincinnati from 1957-60, which at the time was a member of the Missouri Valley Conference. He averaged 35.1 points per game in his freshman season and finished his career having averaged 33.8 points, 15.2 rebounds, and 4.8 assists per game. He was a First Team All-American in all three seasons and was named the Sporting News Player of the Year three times.
McDermott is averaging 22.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per game this season and is a leading candidate for the National Player of the Year award. After a win Saturday, Creighton is 21-6 and 10-5 in Missouri Valley play.
Whereas Robertson and Bird were both Top 10 picks in their respective NBA drafts, McDermott could have a more uphill battle when he decides to go pro. DraftExpress currently predicts McDermott will go 46th overall in the 2013 draft, were he to declare, being selected in the middle of the second round without a contract guarantee.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
No. 1 Kentucky moved to 29-0, and No. 6 Villanova came back to win at Xavier.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:03 PM EST
The Cyclones lost at home against Baylor and then lost at Kansas State.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:01 PM EST
Kentucky has now won 46 SEC titles, and this group looks poised to add more hardware to the trophy case before the season concludes.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:13 PM EST
Having just seven scholarship players hasn’t kept the Flyers from playing a major role in the Atlantic 10 race.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
The Shockers are once again champions of the Valley.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Kansas will be without Cliff Alexander against Texas on Saturday.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
All the bubble winners and losers from Saturday’s college hoops action.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Jake Layman didn’t want to get dunked on.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EST
Robbie Berwick is not going to like seeing this highlight.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Auburn will be without second-leading scorer Antoine Mason as he deals with the death of his father.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
Marist’s Khallid Hart made the game-winning layup with 1.5 seconds left for the win.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
A huge Saturday with 150 games and a lot of bubble action.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EST
Here’s the rundown from Friday night.
Feb 27, 2015, 10:20 PM EST
An off-campus altercation back in 2010 led to a year-long suspension for the Villanova forward.
Feb 27, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
Jim Boeheim goes back almost nine years to describe Rakeem Christmas’ importance to this year’s team.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The starting guard has missed the last 11 games.
Feb 27, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
This isn’t the first time he’s done this in a game.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
The Vandy coach was quick to apology following last night’s incident.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EST
Derrick Walton Jr. hasn’t played in just over a month, but he’s still bothered by an issue with his right foot.
Feb 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EST
Floyd was ejected with 10:05 remaining in the Miners’ 77-60 loss at Louisiana Tech, and he failed to leave the court in a timely manner.
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 11 Wichita State, No. 19 Baylor among winners in games matching ranked teams 0
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)