Feb 17, 2013, 10:49 AM EDT
Arizona State had fallen off the bubble when they lost at Utah on Saturday, their third loss in the last four games. Their RPI was in the 70′s. It was their second loss of the season to a team with an RPI above 150.
The Sun Devils needed to win at Colorado on Saturday, and they did just that, thanks t Evan Gordon and a friendly roll.
In a thrilling sequence at the end of an exciting game, Spencer Dinwiddie hit a layup with 8.3 seconds left to give the Buffaloes a 62-61 lead in overtime. At the other end, Jahii Carson nearly lost control of the ball, getting it to Gordon who drove through Colorado’s defense and finished a finger-roll in traffic that hung on the rim for a couple of seconds before falling through the rim as the buzzer sounded:
The Sun Devils are anything but a lock right now, but this was their first big road win of the season. They’ll host the Washington schools next weekend and still have road trips to UCLA, USC and Arizona left on their schedule.
Throw in the Pac-12 tournament, and Herb Sendek’s club will have chances to make their profile tournament-worthy.
Because even with last night’s win, the Sun Devils still have plenty of work to do.
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 0
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 0
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 0
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- 2014 Big 12 Tournament Preview: This is going to be good 1
- 2014 Big East Tournament Preview: Can Villanova finally beat Creighton? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 5
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (8)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)