Feb 17, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
It all began with a kick.
With 41.2 seconds remaining in regulation Illinois State forward Jackie Carmichael grabbed a rebound with the Redbirds leading by seven, 67-60. But in his aggressive corralling of the basketball his foot struck Wichita State’s Tekele Cotton in the face.
After reviewing the play the officials would hit Carmichael with a flagrant 1, beginning an 8-0 run that would ultimately give the Shockers an improbable 68-67 victory.
The victory, which was clinched on a Cleanthony Early three-pointer with 4.8 seconds remaining, gives Wichita State (22-5, 11-4 Missouri Valley) sole possession of first place in the Valley while also cooling off an Illinois State team that had won seven of its last eight games after an 0-6 league start.
Malcolm Armstead, who assisted on Early’s game-winner, scored 18 points to lead the way offensively for Wichita State and the Shockers won despite being outscored by 17 points from the foul line (30-13) and committing 14 turnovers.
As a result of the win Gregg Marshall’s team has control of the Missouri Valley race with three league games remaining, but the road to a second consecutive regular season title will not be an easy one to navigate.
Wichita State still has to visit both Indiana State (Tuesday) and Creighton (March 2), with the game in Omaha also being the regular season finale for both. But for a conference that in recent weeks hurt its tournament profile in the eyes of some bracketologists, Wichita State’s win keeps them in position to grab an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament (if needed).
With a loss at Southern Illinois in their most recent road game, getting back on track away from home was something the Shockers needed to do ahead of those upcoming games that will determine the MVC title.
And if the break Wichita State needed came by way of an opponent’s foot, so be it.
Jul 7, 2015, 5:16 PM EDT
Memphis loses its top scorer.
Jul 7, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The No. 1 player from 2010 turned into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
See, he’s just a creepy fanboy like the rest of us!
Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Michigan State will be hosting Florida, with a return game in Gainesville in two years.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:16 AM EDT
The Jayhawks … err, Americans … are now 3-0 in the event.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
Read through my column on Georges Niang and Iowa State.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2010? 0
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)