Feb 18, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
The inbounds lob dunk is always a great play. The precise timing and precision passing are something that’s fun to watch, and are tough to get down to a science.
It’s even cooler when it wins a game in the final seconds.
James Madison’s Andre Nation did just that Sunday night. Putting down a lob dunk with 00.2 seconds left off an Arman Marks pass to get the win over Delaware on the road.
The play really was assisted by a defensive breakdown by the Blue Hens. Devon Saddler and Kyle Anderson (no, not that one) failed to switch on a screen on the inbounds, allowing Nation to be wide open under the basket for the dunk.
It was a great call by Dukes coach Matt Brady for the underneath screen instead of having players crash the basket, like a number of teams do. The controlled chaos was what they needed to open up space under the rim.
The win pushed James Madison to 16-12, 10-5 in the CAA. Delaware dropped to 14-13, 9-5.
The action starts at the 2:05 mark of the video.
So I guess #AndreNation will have tons to be happy about in the coming days, right? (I had to do it.)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- 2014 Big Ten Tournament Preview: Can Michigan State turn things around? 0
- Bracketology: Gonzaga grabs WCC title, BYU waits 0
- 2014 Pac-12 Tournament Preview: No. 4 Arizona looks to cap dominant campaign 1
- 2014 Mountain West Tournament Preview: San Diego State, New Mexico clear favorites in Las Vegas 0
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)