Feb 18, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
Flash mobs and the newly-minted king of YouTube memes, the ‘Harlem Shake’ videos, have already become ingrained in our memories, whether we like them or not, in recent years and weeks.
As a result, some have already said these two entities have become out-dated. Even the Harlem Shake videos, which have been around for, what, two weeks?
Anyway, it takes some major planning and activity to combine both of these things and keep them entertaining. That’s why there’s major kudos deserved to the Maryland students before the Terrapins 83-81 victory over then-no. 2 Duke. The thousands that packed the Comcast Center danced in unison to various tracks before the game, then, during the flash mob, a singular dude in a motorcycle helmet kicked of the Harlem Shake that included the entire student section.
Can anyone tell me if the school coordinated this? Did the students get together? How did this come about?
Oh and hey there, Scott Van Pelt sitting in front of the students at the 0:08 second mark, you look aware of everything… (kidding, SVP, you’re my boy!)
You’ll want to watch the whole thing. If you don’t want to, trust me, you’ll catch yourself watching the whole thing. It’s well done.
After all that, I’d assume the end of the video was the student sections favorite part.
This is cool for two reasons. First, it’s just well coordinated and done. Second, with Maryland moving to the Big Ten in two seasons, it’s tough to say how much we’ll get to see these moments again.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT