Feb 18, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
Flash mobs and the newly-minted king of YouTube memes, the ‘Harlem Shake’ videos, have already become ingrained in our memories, whether we like them or not, in recent years and weeks.
As a result, some have already said these two entities have become out-dated. Even the Harlem Shake videos, which have been around for, what, two weeks?
Anyway, it takes some major planning and activity to combine both of these things and keep them entertaining. That’s why there’s major kudos deserved to the Maryland students before the Terrapins 83-81 victory over then-no. 2 Duke. The thousands that packed the Comcast Center danced in unison to various tracks before the game, then, during the flash mob, a singular dude in a motorcycle helmet kicked of the Harlem Shake that included the entire student section.
Can anyone tell me if the school coordinated this? Did the students get together? How did this come about?
Oh and hey there, Scott Van Pelt sitting in front of the students at the 0:08 second mark, you look aware of everything… (kidding, SVP, you’re my boy!)
You’ll want to watch the whole thing. If you don’t want to, trust me, you’ll catch yourself watching the whole thing. It’s well done.
After all that, I’d assume the end of the video was the student sections favorite part.
This is cool for two reasons. First, it’s just well coordinated and done. Second, with Maryland moving to the Big Ten in two seasons, it’s tough to say how much we’ll get to see these moments again.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 0
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 2
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 2
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 2
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 2
- After win at No. 18 SMU, No. 11 Louisville is once again peaking in March 0
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)