Feb 18, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
Flash mobs and the newly-minted king of YouTube memes, the ‘Harlem Shake’ videos, have already become ingrained in our memories, whether we like them or not, in recent years and weeks.
As a result, some have already said these two entities have become out-dated. Even the Harlem Shake videos, which have been around for, what, two weeks?
Anyway, it takes some major planning and activity to combine both of these things and keep them entertaining. That’s why there’s major kudos deserved to the Maryland students before the Terrapins 83-81 victory over then-no. 2 Duke. The thousands that packed the Comcast Center danced in unison to various tracks before the game, then, during the flash mob, a singular dude in a motorcycle helmet kicked of the Harlem Shake that included the entire student section.
Can anyone tell me if the school coordinated this? Did the students get together? How did this come about?
Oh and hey there, Scott Van Pelt sitting in front of the students at the 0:08 second mark, you look aware of everything… (kidding, SVP, you’re my boy!)
You’ll want to watch the whole thing. If you don’t want to, trust me, you’ll catch yourself watching the whole thing. It’s well done.
After all that, I’d assume the end of the video was the student sections favorite part.
This is cool for two reasons. First, it’s just well coordinated and done. Second, with Maryland moving to the Big Ten in two seasons, it’s tough to say how much we’ll get to see these moments again.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)