Feb 18, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
I’m not sure how much worse Rick Ray’s first season in Starkville can get.
After a mountain of injuries and suspensions for his team, Mississippi State can add another to it with the indefinite suspension of forward Roquez Johnson, according to The Associated Press. Johnson was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
Johnson joins junior guard Jalen Steele on the ‘currently suspended’ list for the Bulldogs, who have lost 10 straight games, a streak that began in January with a loss to 75-43 loss to Alabama at home. Mississippi State plays at Alabama on Wednesday.
A 6-7 sophomore, Johnson is averaging 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game in the 23 contests he’s played in for the 7-17 Bulldogs, who are 2-10 in the SEC.
I mean, come on, what else is there left for Mississippi State this season? DeAndre Applewhite and Jacoby Davis were lost to torn ACLs earlier this season (and preseason), along with countless other injuries and now both Steele, the lone true contributor that returned to Starkville this season, and Johnson, one of the team’s leading rebounders, are suspended until further notice.
With the loss of Johnson, Craig Sword will be forced to carry even more of the load for Mississippi State. He had 25 points in Saturday’s loss to LSU. Expect Gavin Ware and Colin Borchert to step up and increase their minutes down the stretch in the post. Because, really, there all the Bulldogs have left in terms of consistent talent at the forward position.
You’ve just got to feel for Ray. This is Rick Stansbury’s team he inherited and a lot of the guys that were left over just weren’t that talented or don’t seem to want to cooperate with his rules.
It’s safe to say this season just needs to end for the Bulldogs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)