Feb 18, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
I’m not sure how much worse Rick Ray’s first season in Starkville can get.
After a mountain of injuries and suspensions for his team, Mississippi State can add another to it with the indefinite suspension of forward Roquez Johnson, according to The Associated Press. Johnson was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
Johnson joins junior guard Jalen Steele on the ‘currently suspended’ list for the Bulldogs, who have lost 10 straight games, a streak that began in January with a loss to 75-43 loss to Alabama at home. Mississippi State plays at Alabama on Wednesday.
A 6-7 sophomore, Johnson is averaging 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game in the 23 contests he’s played in for the 7-17 Bulldogs, who are 2-10 in the SEC.
I mean, come on, what else is there left for Mississippi State this season? DeAndre Applewhite and Jacoby Davis were lost to torn ACLs earlier this season (and preseason), along with countless other injuries and now both Steele, the lone true contributor that returned to Starkville this season, and Johnson, one of the team’s leading rebounders, are suspended until further notice.
With the loss of Johnson, Craig Sword will be forced to carry even more of the load for Mississippi State. He had 25 points in Saturday’s loss to LSU. Expect Gavin Ware and Colin Borchert to step up and increase their minutes down the stretch in the post. Because, really, there all the Bulldogs have left in terms of consistent talent at the forward position.
You’ve just got to feel for Ray. This is Rick Stansbury’s team he inherited and a lot of the guys that were left over just weren’t that talented or don’t seem to want to cooperate with his rules.
It’s safe to say this season just needs to end for the Bulldogs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 1
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)
- Wichita State forward working hard to improve offensive repertoire (3)