Feb 18, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
I’m not sure how much worse Rick Ray’s first season in Starkville can get.
After a mountain of injuries and suspensions for his team, Mississippi State can add another to it with the indefinite suspension of forward Roquez Johnson, according to The Associated Press. Johnson was suspended for an unspecified violation of team rules.
Johnson joins junior guard Jalen Steele on the ‘currently suspended’ list for the Bulldogs, who have lost 10 straight games, a streak that began in January with a loss to 75-43 loss to Alabama at home. Mississippi State plays at Alabama on Wednesday.
A 6-7 sophomore, Johnson is averaging 8.8 points and 4.5 rebounds per game in the 23 contests he’s played in for the 7-17 Bulldogs, who are 2-10 in the SEC.
I mean, come on, what else is there left for Mississippi State this season? DeAndre Applewhite and Jacoby Davis were lost to torn ACLs earlier this season (and preseason), along with countless other injuries and now both Steele, the lone true contributor that returned to Starkville this season, and Johnson, one of the team’s leading rebounders, are suspended until further notice.
With the loss of Johnson, Craig Sword will be forced to carry even more of the load for Mississippi State. He had 25 points in Saturday’s loss to LSU. Expect Gavin Ware and Colin Borchert to step up and increase their minutes down the stretch in the post. Because, really, there all the Bulldogs have left in terms of consistent talent at the forward position.
You’ve just got to feel for Ray. This is Rick Stansbury’s team he inherited and a lot of the guys that were left over just weren’t that talented or don’t seem to want to cooperate with his rules.
It’s safe to say this season just needs to end for the Bulldogs.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
May 27, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
The shot clock won’t have as much of an impact on offenses as lessening the physicality of the game.
May 27, 2015, 7:31 PM EDT
The 6-foot-11 center was originally expected to attend prep school before joining Memphis in 2016.
May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
The 6-foot-6 southpaw showed off his arm, and was accurate in doing so.
May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
Matthews is the recruit everyone forgets about.
May 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
That numbers is half what it was in 2015.
May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Self and his wife created the Assists Foundation.
May 27, 2015, 11:09 AM EDT
Reed broke a cop’s finger while resisting a shoplifting arrest.
May 27, 2015, 10:28 AM EDT
Miles is 47-49 in three years with Nebraska.
May 27, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
This swing is ugly.
May 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
DeAndre Ayton finally got a chance to play this spring and delivered in a big way.
May 26, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
Point guard CJ Walker is focused on seven schools during the recruiting process.
May 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Four-star guard Maverick Rowan has a choice to make for his basketball future in the immediate future.
May 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EDT
Minnesota closed out its 2015 recruiting efforts with its second incoming transfer of the offseason.
May 26, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
The spring grassroots season is over and another spring EYBL season is complete.
May 26, 2015, 3:21 PM EDT
The schedule isn’t out yet, but each team now knows who they will play and where they will play them.
May 26, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
RaShid Gaston averaged 15.5 points and 9.6 boards.
May 26, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Shaqquan Aaron could never crack Rick Pitino’s rotation.
May 26, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
The only people that would punish are the people that had nothing to do with the violations in the first place.
May 26, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
Collins has Northwestern trending in the right direction.
May 26, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
It pays to be able to recruit the way they do.
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban 32
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 6
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 3
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- There’s only one way the NCAA gets UNC investigation wrong: a 2016 postseason ban (33)
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Four men’s teams banned from 2016 postseason due to APR scores (9)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (6)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)