Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
The wild ending to the Wichita State/Illinois State game on Sunday night just got a bit wilder, even after the buzzer.
In a release, the Missouri Valley Conference reprimanded the three-man officiating team of David Hall, Gerry Pollard and Paul Janssen for incorrectly awarding two late technical foul shots to the wrong player in the Shockers 68-67 victory over the Redbirds.
Following a flagrant I call on Illinois State’s Jackie Carmichael for, intentionally or not, kicking Tekele Cotton on a rebound, the crew awarded the shots to the Shockers’ Cleathony Early, who sank both free throws. Wichita State trailed 67-60 at that point and Early would hit a three-pointer with 5.2 seconds left to give Gregg Marshall’s squad the win, capping the comeback.
A replay revealed Cotton was kicked, not Early.
The statement did not say how the officials were punished.
Ok, hindsight being what it is, this wouldn’t have changed the game. Illinois State still allowed Wichita State to score eight points in the final 36 seconds to climb back in and get a road victory. But it does raise some eyebrows.
Why? Because Early shoots 80.5 percent from the free throw line. Cotton? He shoots 58.6 percent. That’s a pretty large discrepancy.
So maybe it wasn’t the deciding factor, but things might’ve been altered had it been Cotton toeing the line with his free throw history, and not Early.
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten
Apr 16, 2014, 10:20 AM EDT
The next big thing to come from Canada isn’t going to be all that big.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
The Mustangs and Bulldogs are looking to meet in a home-and-home series.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
Watch the 7-foot-6 center play baseball.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Austin will leave Waco after two seasons.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
He will have two years of eligibility remaining.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT
Washington State loses three players, including a starting guard.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
The NCAA approved a rule change that will benefit student-athletes.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Okoroh will follow Cuonzo Martin from Tennessee to Cal.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
Tom Izzo returns a key player from last season’s 29-win team.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
A pair of starters will leave Arizona following an Elite 8 appearance.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
The Big Ten regular season champion has lost two underclassmen to the NBA draft with the possibility of a third departure as well.
Apr 15, 2014, 3:56 PM EDT
Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee was a marriage that needed to end. On Tuesday, it did.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
Cal dipped into SEC territory to land their new head coach.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
The Miami investigation keeps getting more embarrassing for the NCAA.
Apr 15, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
The future Kentucky Wildcat had an impressive showing at the Hoop Summit last weekend.
Apr 15, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Gonzaga is close to landing the son of another legend of the 80s
Apr 15, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
He lies to the NBA?
Apr 14, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT
Syracuse landed another 2015 pledge on Monday evening when guard Franklin Howard committed to the Orange.
Apr 14, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Duke freshman forward Jabari Parker will decide on his future this week.
Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Washington point guard Nigel Williams-Goss will return for his sophomore season.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 8
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)