Feb 18, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Game of the Day: No. 25 Notre Dame at No. 20 Pittsburgh (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
I’m sure that Jamie Dixon is ready for this run to end for the Panthers. The Fighting Irish will be the fifth ranked team Pitt has faced in the last six games. They’ve gone 3-2 in that span, holding their own, but I’m sure the wear and tear isn’t good for guys like Steven Adams and Tray Woodall, who are going to be necessities come tournament time.
For Notre Dame, they really need a good win to reassure the team that the five overtime thriller over Louisville didn’t drain them. Since the victory, the Fighting Irish barely beat Big East bottom-feeder DePaul in overtime and then took an L at Providence.
It’s really a battle of mental (Notre Dame) versus physical (Pittsburgh). The winner might get more than just a victory from this one.
Who’s Getting Upset? Norfolk State at Hampton (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
The Spartans are 11-0 in the MEAC, best in the conference. Hampton sits at 7-3 in the conference and has won five in a row — four of them road games — including a win over conference contender Savannah State on Feb. 7. They’ll be fired up and looking for revenge after Norfolk State beat them 74-67 on the road on Jan. 21.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Day: Bucknell at Lehigh (7:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
So what there’s no C.J. McCollum? This game demands your attention anyway. Both teams sit at 8-2 in the Patriots League and the Bison have already reached the 20-win plateau (21-5). The Mountain Hawks still have the regular season title in their sights. This one should still be a conference game of the year candidate.
Five Things to Watch For
1.) West Virginia makes their first visit to Bramlage Coliseum tonight as a member of the Big 12 Conference. Guard play will rule this one, with Rodney McGruder, Will Spradling, Shane Southwell and Angel Rodriguez going up against Aaric Murray, Juwan Staten, Jabari Hinds and Eron Harris. Oh, then there’s the whole Bob Huggins making his return to Manhattan thing.
2.) Drexel takes on Hofstra at home tonight. The last time those two teams got together, this happened.
3.) North Carolina Central took their first conference loss on Saturday to Savannah State. They’ll be looking to get back to chasing Norfolk State with a victory at 1-9 in-conference South Carolina State tonight.
4.) After losing their first five games in-conference, Fairfield has won six of their last seven to get back to respectability in the MAAC. They take on Iona tonight, who still have dreams of a high seed in the conference tournament with their 9-6 conference mark.
5.) Arkansas-Pine Bluff is having the best season of a postseason-banned team not named UConn. They’re 11-3 in the SWAC, 12-14 overall and take on Prarie View A&M tonight on the road.
The Top 25
West Virginia at No. 13 Kansas State (9:00 p.m., ET, ESPN)
Other Notable Games
Rutgers at Villanova (9:00 p.m., ET, ESPNU)
Iona at Fairfield (7:00 p.m., ET, check listings)
North Carolina A&T at Savannah State (7:00 p.m. ET, check listings)
Follow David Harten on Twitter at @David_Harten.
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 1
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)