Feb 19, 2013, 11:36 AM EST
Game of the Night: No. 1 Indiana at No. 4 Michigan State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
We already gave this game the full-post preview treatment. Get your popcorn ready.
Who’s Getting Upset? No. 5 Florida at Missouri (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
If you look at Kenpom’s numbers, Florida has been the best team in the country this season. But there are two factors in that equation that must be accounted for: 1) Their two best wins were blow-outs that came at home back in November; 2) Their only two notable road performances have been a 25 point win at Florida State, who isn’t a tournament team, back on December 5th and the torching they took at Arkansas earlier this month.
Now, Florida heads off to Columbia where they’ll be taking on a Missouri team that has Laurence Bowers back, is playing better basketball than they were a few weeks ago, and has proven to be a much better team at home than on the road. The Tigers desperately need a big win, not necessarily for their tournament chances but for their confidence and to keep the doomsday theorists at bay.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: No. 24 VCU at St. Louis (9:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Net)
The Atlantic 10 isn’t a mid-major league, so spare me the angry comments. But this is the kind of matchup that deserves some extended discussion. You’d be hard-pressed to find two teams that play more opposing styles, but nonetheless, these two teams are essentially sitting in a tie for first place in the conference. (Technically, VCU has a one game lead in the win column.) The Rams like to press, thriving on their ability to force turnovers and turn those turnovers into layups and three-pointers. St. Louis is a is more of a halfcourt team, one that can be downright stingy defensively.
They execute in the half court and are a nightmare to try and score on when their defense gets set. VCU cannot score when forced to go against set defenses. This should be a fun battle.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Utah State heads to BYU to take on the Cougars in a game that was postponed due to the heart attack suffered by Danny Berger of USU in a practice earlier this season. This is an intense rivalry — as they all are in the state of Utah — but some of the luster as been lost as Kyisean Reed and Preston Medlin’s injuries have had an effect on how good the Aggies are. (9:00 p.m. ET)
2) Wichita State and Indiana State square off in a huge battle in the Missouri Valley. ISU won at Wichita State by 13 points earlier this season and hasn’t lost at home since Dec. 1st. But the Sycamores have also struggled of late, losing their last two games and falling into a position where they are nearly out of the bubble pictures without a win over the Shockers. WSU currently leads Creighton by a game and ISU by two games in the MVC standings. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
3) San Diego State has dropped two in a row and five of their last nine in Mountain West play. They are all but out of the MWC race, but beating Wyoming at home would help keep them out of the bubble picture. (10:00 p.m. ET)
4) There are four notable bubble battles in the ACC tonight. Florida State at NC State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2), Maryland at Boston College (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3), UNC at Georgia Tech (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3), and, most importantly, Virginia at No. 2 Miami (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU).
5) Southern Illinois has been the ultimate spoiler in the MVC race this season. The travel to Omaha to take on Creighton tonight. (8:05 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 1 Indiana at No. 4 Michigan State (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN)
- Virginia at No. 2 Miami (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Duquesne at No. 15 Butler (7:00 p.m. ET)
- No. 17 Marquette at Seton Hall (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- No. 24 VCU at St. Louis (9:00 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Net)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
North Carolina and Iowa State earned conference home wins on Monday night.
Jan 26, 2015, 11:22 PM EST
Iowa State bounced back from a loss against Texas Tech with a big home win over Texas.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EST
UCLA should get a boost in practice with the addition of a four-star freshman forward to its roster.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
BYU might be without a key frontcourt piece for the rest of the season.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
The son of a former NBA veteran is moving on to a CAA program from Wake Forest.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:54 PM EST
Washington loses one of the most talented shot blockers in the nation.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:16 PM EST
DePaul may have to reschedule their trip to Providence.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:00 PM EST
Not a lot going on Monday night, but still some great games to check out.
Jan 26, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Maryland grabs an impact point guard in the 2016 class.
Jan 26, 2015, 3:52 PM EST
Johnson landed awkwardly against Ohio State and may have to miss some time.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:03 PM EST
Don’t be surprised if there is only one unbeaten left by this time next week.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:49 PM EST
A recap of the nine craziest finishes from your college hoops weekend.
Jan 26, 2015, 10:28 AM EST
Frankamp spent a little more than a year at Kansas before transferring.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
The best players and most impressive teams from the last week of college hoops.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:54 AM EST
We have a new member in our Top Ten.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:35 PM EST
Northwestern has lost its last three games by a total of five points.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 PM EST
Lucas Siewert joins small forward Brendan Bailey as Arizona State’s second four-star verbal commitment in the 2016 class.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Eight days after attempting 25 three-pointers in their loss to No. 5 Duke, the Cardinals attempted just 12 and scored 40 points in the paint against Pittsburgh.
Three-pointer with 5.2 seconds remaining completes second-half rally for No. 20 Northern Iowa (VIDEO)
Jan 25, 2015, 6:24 PM EST
UNI erased a 12-point second half deficit to win at Illinois State, and they remain a game behind No. 14 Wichita State in the Missouri Valley standings.
Jan 25, 2015, 5:38 PM EST
Chris Perry leads the Bulls in rebounding, and chest pains suffered during the team’s workout Saturday resulted in his having to be hospitalized.
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 0
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 1
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 2
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky are still 1-2 (5)