Feb 19, 2013, 1:09 PM EST
Perhaps more than any season in recent memory, the top teams in the country have taken so brutal poundings this season.
The most obvious victim is Duke, who got manhandled by Miami back in January. That’s the same Miami who is currently sitting at No. 2 in the country despite the 19 point whipping they were on the receiving end of against Arizona in late December. That same Arizona team lost by 13 points in a brutal showing at Colorado on Thursday.
That’s not all.
Michigan lost by 23 points at Michigan State last Tuesday. Ohio State lost by 22 points at Wisconsin on Sunday. New Mexico lost by 21 points at San Diego State. Georgetown lost by 28 points at home to Pitt. Florida lost by 11 point at Arkansas, but the final score doesn’t do the mollywhopping justice. Perhaps the worst loss of all came when Kansas, who beat Kansas State by 21 last Monday, lost to TCU.
No team since the tournament expanded to 64 teams has lost by more than 26 points and won the national title. Only four have suffered losses by more than 17 points and won the title. And, according to a study done by Peter Tiernan of CBSSports.com, 10 of the top 20 teams in the country have lost by more than 17 points this season.
What does all of that mean?
Well, in case you didn’t realize it already, the NCAA tournament is going to be a mess.
An awesome, amazing, thrilling disaster.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Team 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game (2)