Feb 19, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
No intro today.
Just straight news, homey.
Let’s hit the links.
Tuesday’s Top games:
7:00 p.m. – No. 1 Indiana @ No. 4 Michigan State
7:00 p.m. – Duquesne @ No. 15 Butler
7:00 p.m. – No. 17 Marquette @ Seton Hall
7:00 p.m. – Florida State @ North Carolina State
7:00 p.m. – Wichita State @ Indiana State
7:00 p.m. – LSU @ Tennessee
9:00 p.m. – Virginia @ No. 2 Miami
9:00 p.m. – No. 5 Florida @ Missouri
9:00 p.m. – No.24 VCU @ Saint Louis
9:00 p.m. – North Carolina @ Georgia Tech
9:00 p.m. – Utah State @ BYU
10:00 p.m. – Wyoming @ San Diego State
Read of the Day:
The NCAA released a public report about their improper handling of the Nevin Shapiro case. John Infante is one of the foremost experts in NCAA administration and bylaws. His takeaways from this issue are as good as you will find. (AthleticScholarships.net)
Read of the Day:
Gary Parrish’s Poll Attacks. You know what to do. (Eye on College Basketball)
VIDEO: Andre Nation’s lob dunk with 00.2 left beats Delaware: This is what happens when you combine a buzzer-beater with an ally-oop slam dunk. It’s glorious.
The NCAA ‘did not violate a specific bylaw’ in their investigation into Miami? Yeah, I’m confused too. This is a messy situation. Blame the NCAA.
– Victor Oladipo is expected to play tonight despite injuring his ankle over the weekend. (Inside the Hall)
– Cal head coach Mike Montgomery was reprimanded by the Pac-12 Conference for his physical actions towards Cal player Allen Crabbe. (Cal Golden Blogs)
- The Missouri Valley Conference has disciplined the referees from Sunday’s Wichita State-Illinois State game for incorrectly issuing technical fouls in the waning moments of the game. (Sports Illustrated)
- Southern Utah junior Wade Collie was arrested on drug charges. (Mid-Major Madness)
- Minnesota fans want to fire Tubby Smith. Again. (From the Barn)
- Maryland guard Pe’Shon Howard has been reinstated following his indefinite suspension on Friday. He was not on the bench for the Terrapins upset victory over Duke on Saturday. (Testudo Times)
- Former-North Carolina State head coach Sidney Lowe was arrested on Monday for not paying his state taxes. (WRAL-TV)
- Mississippi State has suspended yet another player, bringing their total of available scholarship players to five. (Clarion Ledger)
- The Mountain West Conference Tournament will continue to be held at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas through 2016. (Mountain West Connection)
Observations & Insight:
– Deadspin examine whether it is ever OK for a coach to put his/her hands on a player and if so, when? (Deadspin)
- Some pretty neat stuff about just how bad a “bad loss” is for a team’s resume. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Last week Michigan State thrashed Michigan in what was billed as “The Biggest Game in Breslin Center History”. So what does that make tonight’s game against No. 1 Indiana? (Detroit Free-Press)
- What makes a team great? Are there pillars or principles than need to be adhered to? Here is a pretty solid answer, with a Purdue Boilermakers tint to it. (Boiled Sports)
- According to advanced statistics, a lot of players this year have better numbers than Michael Jordan. (Alligator Army)
- Is Kelly Olynyk the most efficiently elite player in the country? Or is he the most elite efficient player? Does it matter? (Run the Floor)
- Did Bruce Weber give up on the Illini last year? This post certainly entertains that notion. (Champaign Room)
- I really enjoy reading Jason Lisk’s work leading up to March Madness. His analysis of statistics is of the “easy-to-read” variety. Which is good for anti-math people like myself. (The Big Lead)
- It doesn’t matter when BYU and Utah State play each other. It’s always a heated rivalry. The two teams square off tonight in a game that was postponed when BYU guard Danny Berger collapsed in advance of the game. (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Oklahoma State freshman Marcus Smart is having a great year. But did you know he’s having the best statistical year in the past 20 season of Oklahoma State basketball? (Pistols Firing)
- A look at the various hot seats in the MAC. With conference tournaments starting up in three weeks, the coaching carousel will be here sooner than we think. (Hustle Belt)
Odds & Ends:
– Miami released a statement proclaiming that they have been wronged by the NCAA. Stop it already Donna. (Deadspin)
- Andy Kennedy is embracing Marshall Henderson hysteria. (ESPN)
- When conference expansion took over, and people complained about the loss of rivalries, the people in charge told us that new rivalries would be born. Arkansas vs. Missouri is a prime example of this. (Sporting Life Arkansas)
- Bob Knight’s ESPN contract is up at the end of the year. It’s not likely that he will be re-signed. (The Big Lead)
Picture of the Day:
I understand that yesterday was Presidents Day. nonetheless, this should never happen. EVER.(The Mock Session)
Video of the Day:
Marshall Henderson finally joined the “Harlem Shake” craze and did so in the most Marshall Henderson-way possible. (Busted Coverage)
Video of the Day:
Illinois’ student section, “The Orange Krush” showed why they are consistently one of the best student sections in the country. This isn’t the first time they’ve infiltrated an opposing arena, but this is arguably their best effort. (Champaign Room)
Video of the Day:
Appalachian State’s Brian Okam has been vindicated. No longer will he be remembered as shooting “the worst foul shot ever”. Nope, this unlucky lady has stolen the title from him.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Jul 29, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
The UCLA campus became flooded on Tuesday afternoon.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Mike Krzyzewski is entering his 40th season as a head coach.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Doug Wojcik has been investigated twice by the College of Charleston.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Cal told The Sporting News that he couldn’t leave behind the guys that decided to return to school. Do you buy it?
Jul 29, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A former UK coach gave his listeners some new details about Willie Cauley-Stein’s injury.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:27 PM EDT
Malik Monk is a dream come true for the mixtape makers.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:46 PM EDT
And now they’re considering selling it at football games.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
The Bruins will be tested by the time Pac-12 play rolls around.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Chad Frazier was arrested back in April.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Another surprise cut was made at the point guard spot
Jul 29, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT
Beyond the glitz and glamour of the highest levels of AAU basketball are kids fighting to land one of a few coveted scholarships.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
The procedure wasn’t know until Agau took to social media.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Richard Pitino likes that he can feed his players now.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Wisconsin got some pretty cool rings for making the Final Four.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
After tearing his ACL less than a year ago, Harry Giles looks healthy and prepared to battle for No. 1 in the Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
Northwestern head coach Chris Collins will be working with pros this summer.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Seven thoughts are a weekend at AAU Nationals and Super Showcase in Louisville.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
Haley is the first member of Washington’s 2016 recruiting class.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Our Raphielle Johnson spent five days at the tournaments out in Vegas last week. Here are his thoughts on them.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Miami of Ohio assistant coach Trey Meyer is a native of North Augusta and grew up working, playing and coaching at Peach Jam.
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 0
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)
- Time lapse of Iowa State’s refurbished court (VIDEO) (1)