Feb 20, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Western Kentucky director of basketball operations Jake Morton, formerly an assistant at Miami, has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the Miami Herald is reporting.
According to the report, the notice alleges that Morton and fellow Miami assistant Jorge Fernandez allowed convicted Ponzi-schemer Nevin Shapiro “to promote the institution’s athletics programs and to assist the institution in the recruitment of three men’s basketball prospective student-athletes.”
It specifically details the incident below:
On October 4, 2008, Morton and Fernandez arranged for Shapiro to have in-person, off-campus recruiting contact in Shapiro’s suite at Dolphin Stadium during a home football game with Marlon Williamson, the nonscholastic boys’ basketball coach of then men’s basketball prospective student-athlete Donovan [sic] Kirk, while Williamson was visiting the locale of the institution.
Kirk, a Top 100 recruit, ultimately signed with Miami and played two seasons in Coral Gables before transferring to DePaul. The report goes on to cite two other specific incidents of a similar nature, one involving current Hurricanes guard Durand Scott, and the other current Washington Wizards guard John Wall.
Of those named in the notice though, a key allegation is not present. Shapiro had previously claimed that he supplied Morton with $10,000, which he was supposed to provide to a family member of former Miami forward DeQuan Jones during his recruitment. That alleged incident is not cited in the NCAA’s notice.
To read the entire report, click here.
Photo via WKU Athletics
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke 3
- Late Night Snacks: No. 8 Notre Dame outlasts No. 4 Duke in a thriller 1
- 2015 McDonald’s All-American rosters announced 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: It’s essentially a two-man race at this point 2
- Heartbreak fuels Renardo Sidney’s new sense of purpose 1
- No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas 0
- Washington kicks talented shot blocking big man off the team 1
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- Iowa’s Fran McCaffery on Dan Dakich’s criticism of a player: ‘He’s a TV guy. If he was a coach, he’d be coaching’ (5)
- Two former North Carolina athletes sue school, NCAA over academic scandal (4)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)