Feb 20, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Western Kentucky director of basketball operations Jake Morton, formerly an assistant at Miami, has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the Miami Herald is reporting.
According to the report, the notice alleges that Morton and fellow Miami assistant Jorge Fernandez allowed convicted Ponzi-schemer Nevin Shapiro “to promote the institution’s athletics programs and to assist the institution in the recruitment of three men’s basketball prospective student-athletes.”
It specifically details the incident below:
On October 4, 2008, Morton and Fernandez arranged for Shapiro to have in-person, off-campus recruiting contact in Shapiro’s suite at Dolphin Stadium during a home football game with Marlon Williamson, the nonscholastic boys’ basketball coach of then men’s basketball prospective student-athlete Donovan [sic] Kirk, while Williamson was visiting the locale of the institution.
Kirk, a Top 100 recruit, ultimately signed with Miami and played two seasons in Coral Gables before transferring to DePaul. The report goes on to cite two other specific incidents of a similar nature, one involving current Hurricanes guard Durand Scott, and the other current Washington Wizards guard John Wall.
Of those named in the notice though, a key allegation is not present. Shapiro had previously claimed that he supplied Morton with $10,000, which he was supposed to provide to a family member of former Miami forward DeQuan Jones during his recruitment. That alleged incident is not cited in the NCAA’s notice.
To read the entire report, click here.
Photo via WKU Athletics
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games 0
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 4
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (4)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)