Feb 20, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Western Kentucky director of basketball operations Jake Morton, formerly an assistant at Miami, has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the Miami Herald is reporting.
According to the report, the notice alleges that Morton and fellow Miami assistant Jorge Fernandez allowed convicted Ponzi-schemer Nevin Shapiro “to promote the institution’s athletics programs and to assist the institution in the recruitment of three men’s basketball prospective student-athletes.”
It specifically details the incident below:
On October 4, 2008, Morton and Fernandez arranged for Shapiro to have in-person, off-campus recruiting contact in Shapiro’s suite at Dolphin Stadium during a home football game with Marlon Williamson, the nonscholastic boys’ basketball coach of then men’s basketball prospective student-athlete Donovan [sic] Kirk, while Williamson was visiting the locale of the institution.
Kirk, a Top 100 recruit, ultimately signed with Miami and played two seasons in Coral Gables before transferring to DePaul. The report goes on to cite two other specific incidents of a similar nature, one involving current Hurricanes guard Durand Scott, and the other current Washington Wizards guard John Wall.
Of those named in the notice though, a key allegation is not present. Shapiro had previously claimed that he supplied Morton with $10,000, which he was supposed to provide to a family member of former Miami forward DeQuan Jones during his recruitment. That alleged incident is not cited in the NCAA’s notice.
To read the entire report, click here.
Photo via WKU Athletics
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 3
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 1
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 6
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- No. 3 Notre Dame knocks off No. 7 Wichita State to get to the Elite 8 17
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)