Feb 20, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Western Kentucky director of basketball operations Jake Morton, formerly an assistant at Miami, has received a Notice of Allegations from the NCAA, the Miami Herald is reporting.
According to the report, the notice alleges that Morton and fellow Miami assistant Jorge Fernandez allowed convicted Ponzi-schemer Nevin Shapiro “to promote the institution’s athletics programs and to assist the institution in the recruitment of three men’s basketball prospective student-athletes.”
It specifically details the incident below:
On October 4, 2008, Morton and Fernandez arranged for Shapiro to have in-person, off-campus recruiting contact in Shapiro’s suite at Dolphin Stadium during a home football game with Marlon Williamson, the nonscholastic boys’ basketball coach of then men’s basketball prospective student-athlete Donovan [sic] Kirk, while Williamson was visiting the locale of the institution.
Kirk, a Top 100 recruit, ultimately signed with Miami and played two seasons in Coral Gables before transferring to DePaul. The report goes on to cite two other specific incidents of a similar nature, one involving current Hurricanes guard Durand Scott, and the other current Washington Wizards guard John Wall.
Of those named in the notice though, a key allegation is not present. Shapiro had previously claimed that he supplied Morton with $10,000, which he was supposed to provide to a family member of former Miami forward DeQuan Jones during his recruitment. That alleged incident is not cited in the NCAA’s notice.
To read the entire report, click here.
Photo via WKU Athletics
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)