Feb 20, 2013, 7:24 PM EST
Former Texas standout Gary Johnson is expected to make a full recovery after suffering a skull fracture and being put into a medically induced coma following an injury in a game with his professional team in Israel, the Associated Press is reporting.
According to Israel Basketball Association spokesman Hagai Segal, Johnson was awake and communicative and will undergo plastic surgery, but will recover.
Johnson reportedly caught an elbow from Johndre Jefferson, a former South Carolina and current Elitzur Ramla forward. Jefferson recounted the incident to the AP:
“Gary made a step-through move, and when he was going up I was close enough to block the shot and I blocked it on the backboard,” Jefferson said. “I don’t know how it happened, but when I was coming down my elbow caught him in the forehead.
“When we both came down I was standing over his feet trying to tap him on his side to ask him if he was OK. He was holding his head and kind of rolling around.”
Johnson played at Texas from 2007-11 and reached the NCAA tournament four times. During his freshman season, the Longhorns reached the Elite Eight. He averaged 11.5 points and 6.8 rebounds per game as a senior.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)