Feb 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
You may have missed it because the news broke with five minutes left in Indiana’s win at Michigan State last night, but the NCAA has started handing out the Notice of Allegations to the involved parties stemming from the accusations by made Nevin Shapiro.
Miami received their Notice of Allegations, and, ironically enough, the AP is reporting that it contains a lack of institutional control charge, something the NCAA should know quite a bit about. Donna Shalala released a statement last night on the matter, taking a stand and more or less telling the NCAA their allegations are unsubstantiated, they don’t know how to investigate, and that if there are any more punitive measures coming Miami’s way, Shalala can help Mark Emmert with were he can shove them.
But most of that has to do with the football team.
Here at CBT, we’re much more interested in how Frank Haith will ultimately be intertwined into this mess. And, after Missouri notched their biggest win of the season on Tuesday night, Haith spoke up.
“We know the allegations and there is no unethical conduct despite what was reported earlier,” Haith told Andy Katz. It had previously been reported that Haith would be facing charges of unethical conduct and a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The unethical conduct charge — which, more or less, is lying to the NCAA investigators — could have carried with it a multiple-year show-cause penalty. CBSSports.com is reporting that he received an allegation of failure to monitor, which is less serious than a lack of institutional control but can still carry with it sanctions from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 6
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- 2014 NBA Draft: What early entry decisions are we still waiting for? 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)