Feb 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
You may have missed it because the news broke with five minutes left in Indiana’s win at Michigan State last night, but the NCAA has started handing out the Notice of Allegations to the involved parties stemming from the accusations by made Nevin Shapiro.
Miami received their Notice of Allegations, and, ironically enough, the AP is reporting that it contains a lack of institutional control charge, something the NCAA should know quite a bit about. Donna Shalala released a statement last night on the matter, taking a stand and more or less telling the NCAA their allegations are unsubstantiated, they don’t know how to investigate, and that if there are any more punitive measures coming Miami’s way, Shalala can help Mark Emmert with were he can shove them.
But most of that has to do with the football team.
Here at CBT, we’re much more interested in how Frank Haith will ultimately be intertwined into this mess. And, after Missouri notched their biggest win of the season on Tuesday night, Haith spoke up.
“We know the allegations and there is no unethical conduct despite what was reported earlier,” Haith told Andy Katz. It had previously been reported that Haith would be facing charges of unethical conduct and a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The unethical conduct charge — which, more or less, is lying to the NCAA investigators — could have carried with it a multiple-year show-cause penalty. CBSSports.com is reporting that he received an allegation of failure to monitor, which is less serious than a lack of institutional control but can still carry with it sanctions from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3