Feb 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
You may have missed it because the news broke with five minutes left in Indiana’s win at Michigan State last night, but the NCAA has started handing out the Notice of Allegations to the involved parties stemming from the accusations by made Nevin Shapiro.
Miami received their Notice of Allegations, and, ironically enough, the AP is reporting that it contains a lack of institutional control charge, something the NCAA should know quite a bit about. Donna Shalala released a statement last night on the matter, taking a stand and more or less telling the NCAA their allegations are unsubstantiated, they don’t know how to investigate, and that if there are any more punitive measures coming Miami’s way, Shalala can help Mark Emmert with were he can shove them.
But most of that has to do with the football team.
Here at CBT, we’re much more interested in how Frank Haith will ultimately be intertwined into this mess. And, after Missouri notched their biggest win of the season on Tuesday night, Haith spoke up.
“We know the allegations and there is no unethical conduct despite what was reported earlier,” Haith told Andy Katz. It had previously been reported that Haith would be facing charges of unethical conduct and a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The unethical conduct charge — which, more or less, is lying to the NCAA investigators — could have carried with it a multiple-year show-cause penalty. CBSSports.com is reporting that he received an allegation of failure to monitor, which is less serious than a lack of institutional control but can still carry with it sanctions from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- College basketball’s seven biggest early entry losers for the 2015-2016 season 0
- College basketball’s six biggest early entry winners for the 2015-2016 season 0
- Austin Hatch’s inspirational basketball career has come to a close 2
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Report: Yogi Ferrell to return to Indiana for senior season 0
- Texas point guard Isaiah Taylor returning for junior season 1
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)
- Louisville adds key grad transfer Damion Lee (6)
- All-MAC guard Shannon Evans to transfer from Buffalo; is athletics director Danny White at fault? (3)