Feb 20, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
You may have missed it because the news broke with five minutes left in Indiana’s win at Michigan State last night, but the NCAA has started handing out the Notice of Allegations to the involved parties stemming from the accusations by made Nevin Shapiro.
Miami received their Notice of Allegations, and, ironically enough, the AP is reporting that it contains a lack of institutional control charge, something the NCAA should know quite a bit about. Donna Shalala released a statement last night on the matter, taking a stand and more or less telling the NCAA their allegations are unsubstantiated, they don’t know how to investigate, and that if there are any more punitive measures coming Miami’s way, Shalala can help Mark Emmert with were he can shove them.
But most of that has to do with the football team.
Here at CBT, we’re much more interested in how Frank Haith will ultimately be intertwined into this mess. And, after Missouri notched their biggest win of the season on Tuesday night, Haith spoke up.
“We know the allegations and there is no unethical conduct despite what was reported earlier,” Haith told Andy Katz. It had previously been reported that Haith would be facing charges of unethical conduct and a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. The unethical conduct charge — which, more or less, is lying to the NCAA investigators — could have carried with it a multiple-year show-cause penalty. CBSSports.com is reporting that he received an allegation of failure to monitor, which is less serious than a lack of institutional control but can still carry with it sanctions from the NCAA.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)