Feb 20, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT
Arizona turned to senior Kevin Parrom in the face of a two-game losing streak, putting him in the starting lineup Sunday in a win over Utah. Coach Sean Miller and the Wildcats will keep with that plan Wednesday when they meet Washington and look to hold their ground in the Pac-12 race, the Tucson Citizen is reporting.
“Coach pretty much knows when I’m out there I’m going to play my hardest, whether I’m starting or the sixth man or whatever role I get,” Parrom told the paper. “He trusts me in whatever role he puts me in.”
Parrom started in place of freshman Brandon Ashely against Utah and responded with a near double-double of nine points and nine rebounds.
“Like a lot of seniors, when you come down the home stretch, sometimes you want to play so well it works against you,” Miller said, as reported by the paper. “Injecting him into the starting lineup I think is a good way for us to show how much we believe in him.”
Parrom and Mark Lyons have been the senior leaders for an Arizona team that started off hot in the non-conference, but has cooled off a bit in Pac-12 play. Starting Parrom takes some size out of the initial lineup on the floor, but he can still produce. Shifting Ashley toward coming off the bench had its benefits, too.
“Brandon was as big a reason why we beat Utah as any player,” Miller said. “To me, his role is as significant, if not more significant, moving forward because of how important his play is overall to our team’s success.”
Arizona tips off against Washington at 9 p.m. ET.
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Four-star forward becomes Nebraska’s third 2015 commitment 0