Feb 20, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
Game of the Night: No. 9 Kansas at No. 14 Oklahoma State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
The Big 12 has turned into a three-team race for the league title, and with Kansas State beating West Virginia at home last night, the Wildcats have taken a half-game lead (in the win column) over both the Jayhawks and the Cowboys. The winner of tonight’s game will move into a tie with KSU, a game ahead of the loser. This is significant because all three teams have an easy schedule down the stretch, with the exception of Kansas State’s trip to Stillwater in the regular season finale.
In other words, if Oklahoma State wins and there are no surprises throughout the rest of Big 12 play, KSU and OSU will play on the final day of the regular season for the Big 12 title. Kansas has won at least a share of the Big 12 title in each of the past eight years, and a lost tonight would mean that they no longer control their own destiny in that regard.
Gallagher-Iba Arena is one of the best college basketball atmospheres with the arena is full, and with Kansas in town, it should be packed. The Jayhawks will be looking to exact revenge for a loss they suffered in Phog Allen earlier this month.
Who’s Getting Upset? No. 22 Colorado State at UNLV (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Net)
The Rebels have their issues this season, but the one thing that we know for sure is that UNLV is a tough team to beat at the Thomas & Mack Center. I also think that UNLV will be able to matchup with the Rams well. The biggest issue that Dave Rice has run into this season is that Mike Moser gets lost in the shuffle thanks to the play of Anthony Bennett and Khem Birch, but given CSU’s size and their ability to hit the glass, Moser may be a viable weapon tonight.
Mid-Major Matchup of the Night: Santa Clara at No. 3 Gonzaga (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
Santa Clara is a fun, dangerous team this season. Kevin Foster is as dangerous of a shooter as you are going to find in the country, Marc Trasolini has the kind of size to be create matchups problems and Evan Roquemore is a hidden gem at the point. Gonzaga is a tough team to beat at the Kennel, but there should be plenty of scoring and a lot of threes fired up tonight.
Five Things to Watch For
1) Providence has won four straight games and is playing the best basketball the program has seen in recent memory. They visit Syracuse tonight. (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
2) Ohio State really needs a win to turn around some of the skepticism of their resume. They host Minnesota, a team that has been sputtering as well, tonight. (7:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten)
3) I guess we shouldn’t have been too surprised that Kentucky got smacked in their first game without Nerlens Noel. It was on the road against a tough, solid Tennessee team. Kentucky hosts Vanderbilt tonight. We should get a better gauge of whether or not it’s time to pack in the season for Wildcat fans. (8:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
4) The sneaky-good game of the night: Iowa State at Baylor. Athletes, threes, zero conscience, bubble implications. (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
5) Is Joel Smith healthy? When he is, Northeastern is far and away the best team in the CAA. But he’s missed time the last two games — he sat out against Delaware and only managed to play 16 minutes against UNC-Wilmington. The Huskies lost both games, and they host James Madison tonight. (7:00 p.m.)
- Santa Clara at No. 3 Gonzaga (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Providence at No. 8 Syracuse (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- No. 9 Kansas at No. 14 Oklahoma State (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- DePaul at No. 11 Georgetown (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Washington at No. 12 Arizona (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Minnesota at No. 18 Ohio State (7:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- No. 19 Wisconsin at Northwestern (9:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Houston at No. 21 Memphis (9:00 p.m. ET)
- No. 22 Colorado State at UNLV (10:15 p.m. ET, CBS Sports Network)
Other Notable Games
- Ole Miss at South Carolina (7:00 p.m. ET)
- South Florida at St. John’s (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Oklahoma at Texas Tech (7:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Charleston at Western Carolina (7:00 p.m. ET)
- Air Force at Boise State (8:00 p.m. ET)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:58 AM EDT
According to a report, Louisiana Tech’s Michael White is the focus of Tennessee’s search for a new head coach.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:03 PM EDT
Just over a week after his appeal to be released from his scholarship at Marshall was granted, Kareem Canty’s decided to transfer to Auburn.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:17 PM EDT
A Kentucky fan promised to get a tattoo of Willie Cauley-Stein if the 7-footer returned to Lexington for his junior season. Saturday, Michael Gray followed through.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
UNLV has added another player to its 2014 recruiting class, as shooting guard Patrick McCaw verbally committed to the Mountain West program.
Apr 19, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Arizona State has made another addition to its roster, landing a commitment from former UNLV forward Savon Goodman.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Forward Zach LeDay has decided to leave the USF program after spending two seasons in Tampa.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
New Florida A&M AD Kellen Winslow Sr. has already decided that the basketball program needs a new leader, as head coach Clemon Johnson was relieved of his duties Friday.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Will highly-touted Colombian center Tonny Trocha-Morelos finally be joining the Texas A&M program?
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
Michigan had some open scholarships following the 2014 NBA Draft departures of Nik Stauskas and Glenn Robinson III and they filled one of those on Saturday with a commitment from senior guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:25 PM EDT
Gonzaga will have a very tough non-conference slate during the 2014-15 season.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
Two-and-through sounds more and more likely to happen.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill and Satchel Pierce are following former Golden Eagles coach Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech as the duo committed to the Hokies on Saturday morning.
POSTERIZED: SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay flushes a ridiculous alley-oop during Jordan Brand Classic (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
SMU commit Emmanuel Mudiay put down the best dunk at the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Northern Illinois extended the contract of head coach Mark Montgomery through the 2017-18 season.
Chicago duo Jahlil Okafor, Cliff Alexander earn MVP honors as East beats West in Jordan Brand Classic
Apr 18, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Chicago natives Jahlil Okafor and Cliff Alexander earned MVP honors as the East beat the West in the Jordan Brand Classic.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Houston is allowing Danuel House and TaShawn Thomas to transfer, but only to certain programs.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Indiana grabbed a commitment from a 2014 center on Friday night.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
Miami forward James Kelly is moving on.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
It was a busy day for the Butler Bulldogs on Friday as freshman guard Elijah Brown intends to transfer while former Indiana wing Austin Etherington will transfer to the Big East program.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Ole Miss picked up a big graduate transfer on Friday when former Tennessee State forward M.J. Rhett signed with the Rebels.
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 4
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job 11
- Kentucky’s James Young to enter the NBA Draft 0
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA 7
- It’s beyond time for college basketball to return to NBA’s early entry calendar 0
- Former Alabama player Devonta Pollard receiving interest from Kentucky 2
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (16)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (11)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (10)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)