Feb 20, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
Sad news today coming out of North Carolina as Josh Level, a 17 year old junior at New Gardens Friends School in Greensboro, NC, passed away on Tuesday night.
He collapsed on the court during a game against Quality Education Academy and died at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
R.I.P Josh Level. Man I’m sooo hurt.
— Quincy Miller (@qmillertime) February 20, 2013
Level played with Team Loaded during the spring and the summer AAU seasons and was receiving interest from schools like Oklahoma State, North Carolina State, Charlotte and Cleveland State.
BallIsLife put together a touching tribute to Level which can be seen here. The video is kicked off with a harrowing quote from the youngster:
“Most guys, they lack the hustle and heart and desire to be out there on the court, because to play this game, you have to have a lot of heart. It’s a privilege.”
Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Level family and all of Josh’s friends and teammates. The loss of a young man with so much promise is truly heart-breaking.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)