Feb 21, 2013, 9:56 AM EST
Arizona State kept their momentum going in the right direction on Wednesday night.
Three days after picking up a big win at Colorado in overtime, Carrick Felix went for 23 points and 11 boards and Jahii Carson chipped in with 21 points and five assists as the Sun Devils knocked off Washington State 69-57.
The win itself isn’t a huge importance to Arizona State’s resume, but given their lack of strength in the non-conference portion of their schedule, this was quite simply a game that the Sun Devils could not afford to lose.
ASU plays Washington at home and then finishes the regular season with a three-game road trip — at UCLA, at USC and then at Arizona. I’d recommend winning at least three of those four games, if not all four.
But back to the more important issue: the Sun Devils won on James Harden Beard Night. To honor their former star, the first 1,000 students to show up to the game received a beard bandana (pictures below). They also decided to remain silent until Arizona State managed to score their 13th point; 13 was Harden’s number when he was in Tempe. The only problem was that it took about ten minutes for the Sun Devils to reach that number, which created quite an awkward situation, playing in front of a silent arena.
After the game, Herb Sendek said that he didn’t realize what the students were planning until after the game, and kept thinking about how quiet the gym was.
Maybe the ASU student section should scrap the whole “let’s be quiet for 13 minutes” plan. Once the students came alive, after a jumper from Felix, the Sun Devils went on a 22-8 run to close the half.
Anyway, since I know you were asking, here are the Arizona State cheerleaders in Beard Bandanas:
Oh, I should probably mention that James Harden went for 46 points in a win over the Oklahoma City Thunder last night.
(Photo via @krissylindas)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Gordon is averaging 10.5 points this season.
Nov 26, 2014, 11:20 AM EST
Not a bad way to kick off the Thanksgiving weekend
Nov 26, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
He was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault.
Nov 26, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Angry John Beilein is the best John Beilein.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:28 AM EST
Pinkston made a couple of huge plays down the stretch.
Nov 26, 2014, 12:10 AM EST
Another busy night of college hoops as the Maui semifinals wrap up and Arkansas gets a statement road win.
Nov 25, 2014, 11:50 PM EST
Maryland pulled off one of the biggest upsets of the young season as they outplayed No. 13 Iowa State for much of the game in front of a pro-Cyclone crowd in Kansas City.
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run
Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 PM EST
As Arizona has struggled to find consistent offense early in the 2014-15 season, the consistency and selfless nature of sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has allowed Sean Miller to experiment with what works early.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Kansas head coach Bill Self is trying to get through to his players by changing starting lineups.
Nov 25, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
The former national champion still has the touch.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
The Barclays Center Classic doubleheader will air on Friday night on NBC Sports Network.
Nov 25, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
The Friars could be depleted on the perimeter against two tough opponents.
Nov 25, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Minnesota will take a hit to its back court with this suspension.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
I hope his joke doesn’t make people ignore the fact the he really felt bad about this.
Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 PM EST
We get some good gauge games on Tuesday night.
Nov 25, 2014, 1:18 PM EST
Frank Kaminsky and Jahlil Okafor are near the top, but the rest of the top five may surprise you.
Nov 25, 2014, 12:27 PM EST
Benjamin hurt his ankle against Michigan.
Nov 25, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Jason McManamen is trying to prove Billy Hoyle and Sidney Dean wrong.
Nov 25, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Michigan was dominated on the glass, but the freshman forward stepped up to ice the victory.
Nov 25, 2014, 7:00 AM EST
Can a team that runs a pressing system truly be one of the nations elite?
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)