Feb 21, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Before the season began Drexel and Delaware were pegged by many as the teams to beat in the Colonial Athletic Association. The season hasn’t played out as expected for either team, with injuries and inconsistency having an impact on both the Dragons and the Blue Hens.
The two teams met on Thursday night with Delaware holding off Drexel 73-71 in double overtime at the Bob Carpenter Center, and the finish is one that Drexel fans won’t soon forget.
A Frantz Massenat runner in the final seconds of double overtime was blocked by Delaware’s Jamelle Hagins, and it certainly looked as if the officials missed a goaltending violation. With no call being made Drexel drops to 11-16 overall and 7-8 in CAA play, while Delaware (15-13, 10-5) remains two games behind first-place Northeastern.
Devon Saddler led the way for Delaware with a game-high 31 points and Hagins finished with 14 points, 18 rebounds and one controversial blocked shot.
Damion Lee (22 points, 11 rebounds), Massenat (20 points) and Derrick Thomas (19) attempted 59 of Drexel’s 72 shots from the field, something that has to happen if the Dragons are to have a shot given the fact that Chris Fouch was lost early this season after fracturing his ankle.
With just seven teams eligible for the conference tournament Delaware’s win keeps them a game ahead of James Madison (10-6) in the loss column in the race for the two-seed.
Towson and UNCW are ineligible for APR reasons; Georgia State and Old Dominion are ineligible due to a league bylaw that bans schools leaving for another conference from winning the league’s automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.
As for Drexel they’re now two games behind George Mason in the race for what would be the four-seed, and the loss likely ends the possibility of them making a run at the three-seed.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)