Feb 21, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Bad news coming out of Montana today as it seems that the Grizzlies leading scorer may miss some time.
Matthias Ward, who averages 14.8 points this season, apparently injured his foot in a win against Idaho State.
On a Tuesday radio show, head coach Wayne Tinkle said that Ward will be undergoing tests to determine the severity of the injury and the length of time that he’ll be out.
This is a big deal for Montana, who currently sits at 15-1 in the Big Sky and has become one of the most dangerous mid-major programs in the country.
Ward is Montana’s leading scorer at 14.8 PPG, and he is perhaps the best mid-range jump shooter in the Big Sky. But that is only part of the point. The larger point is that Montana is already painfully thin in the frontcourt. Ward itself isn’t really a true big man (he is not a very good rebounder), but there other best options upfront are Mike Weisner and Spencer Coleman, who are probably better suited to play the three.
If Ward is out awhile, such as for next week’s road games or even longer, Montana could be in trouble. Without Ward, they will likely play even smaller, with guys likeSpencer Coleman or Mike Weisner playing some at the five, along with four guards. They won’t really have a choice.
Bottom line, this could be a game changer at the end of the Big Sky season.
That’s not good.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (6)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (5)
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind (4)
- Creighton’s logos draw ire of Major League Baseball franchise (4)
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)