Feb 21, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
Michigan State guard Gary Harris has been one of the Big Ten’s best newcomers this season, most recently scoring 19 points in the Spartans’ 72-68 loss to No. 1 Indiana on Tuesday.
And according to head coach Tom Izzo, Harris’ left shoulder popped out of its socket early in the second half. The shoulder went back in on its own and Harris remained in the game, but it’s an issue that according to Izzo has been present since Michigan State’s game against Boise State on November 20.
Harris played just one minute in the 74-70 win over the Broncos and missed each of Michigan State’s next two games against Oakland and Louisiana-Lafayette.
“Well Gary, and you probably saw, that shoulder, that left one came out right at the start of the second half,” Izzo said. “And it was kind of bizarre because it went out and back in and I kind of watched it.”
Harris shot 6-of-13 on Tuesday night but made just one of his five three-point attempts, the first time in eight games that the freshman failed to shoot 50% of better from beyond the arc.
On the season Harris is shooting 47.4% from the field and 43.2% from three, good percentages given the fact that the shoulder has been an issue for much of the season (Harris is right-handed but one would think that (possibly) having to compensate for the injury could knock a player’s shooting form off-balance).
Shoulder injuries can be tough to navigate, with Seton Hall forward Brandon Mobley being an example of what can happen when the issue becomes too troublesome. Mobley played his final game of the season on Saturday night due to the injury, undergoing season-ending surgery earlier this week.
Mobley’s right shoulder has been an issue since he arrived in South Orange, with it being operated on during the offseason before his freshman campaign as well. Harris’ injury doesn’t seem to be as problematic as Mobley’s, and hopefully for he and the Spartans that remains the case as they approach March.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)