Feb 21, 2013, 4:38 PM EDT
Michigan State guard Gary Harris has been one of the Big Ten’s best newcomers this season, most recently scoring 19 points in the Spartans’ 72-68 loss to No. 1 Indiana on Tuesday.
And according to head coach Tom Izzo, Harris’ left shoulder popped out of its socket early in the second half. The shoulder went back in on its own and Harris remained in the game, but it’s an issue that according to Izzo has been present since Michigan State’s game against Boise State on November 20.
Harris played just one minute in the 74-70 win over the Broncos and missed each of Michigan State’s next two games against Oakland and Louisiana-Lafayette.
“Well Gary, and you probably saw, that shoulder, that left one came out right at the start of the second half,” Izzo said. “And it was kind of bizarre because it went out and back in and I kind of watched it.”
Harris shot 6-of-13 on Tuesday night but made just one of his five three-point attempts, the first time in eight games that the freshman failed to shoot 50% of better from beyond the arc.
On the season Harris is shooting 47.4% from the field and 43.2% from three, good percentages given the fact that the shoulder has been an issue for much of the season (Harris is right-handed but one would think that (possibly) having to compensate for the injury could knock a player’s shooting form off-balance).
Shoulder injuries can be tough to navigate, with Seton Hall forward Brandon Mobley being an example of what can happen when the issue becomes too troublesome. Mobley played his final game of the season on Saturday night due to the injury, undergoing season-ending surgery earlier this week.
Mobley’s right shoulder has been an issue since he arrived in South Orange, with it being operated on during the offseason before his freshman campaign as well. Harris’ injury doesn’t seem to be as problematic as Mobley’s, and hopefully for he and the Spartans that remains the case as they approach March.
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 1
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 13
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Big Ten considering ‘protected rivalries’ for basketball schedule (9)
- Federal tax documents reveal that Mike Krzyzewski made $9.7 million in 2011 (4)
- Evan Gordon is transferring to Indiana (4)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car