Feb 21, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Wednesday delivered yet another entertaining night of hoops. Kansas and Oklahoma State went into double overtime and featured a candidate for .GIF of the year. Minnesota continues to slide closer and closer to the bubble, and Northeastern and James Madison went down to the wire in a pivotal CAA battle.
Let’s hit the links.
Thursday’s Top games:
7:00 p.m. – Cincinnati @ Connecticut
7:00 p.m. – La Salle @ Temple
7:00 p.m. – Drexel @ Delaware (NBC Sports Network)
8:00 p.m. – South Alabama @ Middle Tennessee
9:00 p.m. – No. 6 Duke @ Virginia Tech
9:00 p.m. – California @ No. 23 Oregon
11:00 p.m. – BYU @ Saint Mary’s
Read of the Day:
It’s Thursday, which means Luke Winn’s Power Rankings are hot off the presses. As is the case every week, this is must-read stuff. (Sports Illustrated)
– Vanderbilt recruit Darius Thompson has decommited from the school and will re-open his recruitment. (The Tennessean)
– Jake Toolson, the nephew of former Cougar sharpshooter and NBA GM Danny Ainge, has committed to BYU. (Salt Lake Tribune)
– Former-Texas standout Gary Johnson suffered a skull fracture yesterday playing in Europe and was placed in a medically induced coma. He is expected to make a full recovery. (CSN Houston)
Observations & Insight:
– This is just crazy. Temple has played in five consecutive games decided by one point. They play La Salle tonight in a pivotal A-10 match-up. (Eye on College Basketball)
– Remember when Ole Miss was the talk of the town? That was roughly seven games ago. They’ve lost five games since then. A tourney bid is looking less and less likely for Marshall Henderson & company. (The Dagger)
– Earlier this week John Feinstein penned an article for the Washington Post in which he stated that Siena may be a possible candidate to join the Catholic-7. While the Saints have had excellent success for a MAAC program, does the school have the financial support to run a high-major basketball program? (Fours Guys in Blazers)
– George Mason had a planned proposal to upgrade it’s basketball practice facillities. Many mid-majors across the country are upgrading their facillities, including two of George Mason’s local rivals, Old Dominion and VCU. But head coach Paul Hewitt advised against the project, and the proposal was subsequently scrapped. (GMU Hoops)
– Georgetown freshman D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera scored a career-high 22 points off the bench in the Hoya’s 90-66 win over DePaul. (Washington Times)
– Baylor lost at home to Iowa State last night, ending any shot the Bears had at making the NCAA tournament. (Our Daily Bears)
– Xavier’s Travis Taylor had his wisdom teeth removed on Monday, had a career night against Rhode Island on Wednesday. (Cincinnati.com)
– In case you missed it, North Carolina has gone to a four guard lineup and surprisingly enough, it seems to be working. (Rush The Court)
– Rumors swirled yesterday regarding expansionocalypse and the recruitment of UNC and UVA to the Big-Ten. Both schools are staying put in the ACC. (Busting Brackets)
Odds & Ends
– Former-Duke Blue Devil Brian Zoubek is closing his pastry shop in Haddonfield, NJ. Yes, that’s right, the former Duke big-man owned and operated a pastry shop. There is a joke or two to be made here. (The Blue Zone)
– Well this is certainly bizarre: North Dakota has suspended their men’s basketball play-by-play announcer for two games because he used the term “choke job” during the broadcast of their weekend overtime loss to Northern Arizona. (ESPN)
– This too is bizarre: Idaho fan gets prosthetic leg designed in honor of Vandals. (Lost Letterman)
– Yeah, I can’t imagine Missouri administrators are too happy with Truman the Tiger. (The Big Lead)
Picture of the Day:
Phil Forte is a freshman sharpshooter at Oklahoma State. Best.Sign.Ever. (The Big Lead)
Video of the Day:
I think Marcus Smart’s ankles are still at the top of the key.
Video of the Day:
Bill Self is a dancing fool. (The Mock Session)
Dunk of the Day:
The Ben McLemore Show, ladies and gentlenman.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Apr 24, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
The fifth banner is now hanging in Cameron Indoor Stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:56 PM EDT
DePaul lost a junior guard and a three-star forward (for the second time) on Friday evening.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
He’ll be able to play immediately.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:21 PM EDT
The second team All-MAC guard will have two years of eligibility left.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Walker’s career didn’t pan out the way anyone expected, but he’s headed to the pro game after two seasons.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Who’s going pro? Who’s returning to school? Who are we still waiting to hear from?
Apr 24, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
A roster that will be both young and talented returns its leader as Dunn will be back for another season.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
It was reported earlier this week that Newman would be headed to Starkville, and he made it official Friday afternoon.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
The return of “Zeus” means that Arizona will have one returning starter from last year’s 34-4 team.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
The return of Buddy Hield pushes previously unranked Oklahoma into our way too early rankings.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:34 AM EDT
The reigning Big 12 Player of the Year has some unfinished business to attend to next season.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Poythress played in eight games before suffering a torn ACL in practice.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT
Sterling Smith averaged 13.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game at Coppin State last season.
Apr 23, 2015, 9:22 PM EDT
Long averaged a double-double for the third consecutive season in 2014-15. He’ll hang around to make a run at a fourth.
Apr 23, 2015, 8:01 PM EDT
Johnson led the Wildcats in scoring last season while also averaging 6.5 rebounds per contest.
Apr 23, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
Minnesota had a need for added depth on the wing, and the addition of Ahmad Gilbert helps in that regard.
Apr 23, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
A second team All-Summit League selection last season, Billbury will be eligible immediately for VCU.
Apr 23, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Wallace led the Golden Bears in points, rebounds and assists last season.
Apr 23, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Murray is a top 50 recruit in the Class of 2015
Apr 23, 2015, 2:54 PM EDT
Who realized that Thomas would be this good as a pro?
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)