Feb 21, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Wednesday delivered yet another entertaining night of hoops. Kansas and Oklahoma State went into double overtime and featured a candidate for .GIF of the year. Minnesota continues to slide closer and closer to the bubble, and Northeastern and James Madison went down to the wire in a pivotal CAA battle.
Let’s hit the links.
Thursday’s Top games:
7:00 p.m. – Cincinnati @ Connecticut
7:00 p.m. – La Salle @ Temple
7:00 p.m. – Drexel @ Delaware (NBC Sports Network)
8:00 p.m. – South Alabama @ Middle Tennessee
9:00 p.m. – No. 6 Duke @ Virginia Tech
9:00 p.m. – California @ No. 23 Oregon
11:00 p.m. – BYU @ Saint Mary’s
Read of the Day:
It’s Thursday, which means Luke Winn’s Power Rankings are hot off the presses. As is the case every week, this is must-read stuff. (Sports Illustrated)
– Vanderbilt recruit Darius Thompson has decommited from the school and will re-open his recruitment. (The Tennessean)
- Jake Toolson, the nephew of former Cougar sharpshooter and NBA GM Danny Ainge, has committed to BYU. (Salt Lake Tribune)
- Former-Texas standout Gary Johnson suffered a skull fracture yesterday playing in Europe and was placed in a medically induced coma. He is expected to make a full recovery. (CSN Houston)
Observations & Insight:
– This is just crazy. Temple has played in five consecutive games decided by one point. They play La Salle tonight in a pivotal A-10 match-up. (Eye on College Basketball)
- Remember when Ole Miss was the talk of the town? That was roughly seven games ago. They’ve lost five games since then. A tourney bid is looking less and less likely for Marshall Henderson & company. (The Dagger)
- Earlier this week John Feinstein penned an article for the Washington Post in which he stated that Siena may be a possible candidate to join the Catholic-7. While the Saints have had excellent success for a MAAC program, does the school have the financial support to run a high-major basketball program? (Fours Guys in Blazers)
- George Mason had a planned proposal to upgrade it’s basketball practice facillities. Many mid-majors across the country are upgrading their facillities, including two of George Mason’s local rivals, Old Dominion and VCU. But head coach Paul Hewitt advised against the project, and the proposal was subsequently scrapped. (GMU Hoops)
- Georgetown freshman D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera scored a career-high 22 points off the bench in the Hoya’s 90-66 win over DePaul. (Washington Times)
- Baylor lost at home to Iowa State last night, ending any shot the Bears had at making the NCAA tournament. (Our Daily Bears)
- Xavier’s Travis Taylor had his wisdom teeth removed on Monday, had a career night against Rhode Island on Wednesday. (Cincinnati.com)
- In case you missed it, North Carolina has gone to a four guard lineup and surprisingly enough, it seems to be working. (Rush The Court)
- Rumors swirled yesterday regarding expansionocalypse and the recruitment of UNC and UVA to the Big-Ten. Both schools are staying put in the ACC. (Busting Brackets)
Odds & Ends
– Former-Duke Blue Devil Brian Zoubek is closing his pastry shop in Haddonfield, NJ. Yes, that’s right, the former Duke big-man owned and operated a pastry shop. There is a joke or two to be made here. (The Blue Zone)
- Well this is certainly bizarre: North Dakota has suspended their men’s basketball play-by-play announcer for two games because he used the term “choke job” during the broadcast of their weekend overtime loss to Northern Arizona. (ESPN)
- This too is bizarre: Idaho fan gets prosthetic leg designed in honor of Vandals. (Lost Letterman)
- Yeah, I can’t imagine Missouri administrators are too happy with Truman the Tiger. (The Big Lead)
Picture of the Day:
Phil Forte is a freshman sharpshooter at Oklahoma State. Best.Sign.Ever. (The Big Lead)
Video of the Day:
I think Marcus Smart’s ankles are still at the top of the key.
Video of the Day:
Bill Self is a dancing fool. (The Mock Session)
Dunk of the Day:
The Ben McLemore Show, ladies and gentlenman.
Do you like the new Morning Mix? Hate it? Have a suggestion or want something featured? Troy Machir will take all your praise, insults and inquiries via Twitter (@TroyMachir)
Sep 30, 2014, 8:50 PM EDT
Can an SEC program reel in a top-5 player in the 2015 class during a weekend visit?
Sep 30, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
Harvard landed another quality recruit.
Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
IUPUI unveiled a new court design this week.
Sep 30, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Western Kentucky fans were given three options and selected one for the upcoming season.
Sep 30, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
NBA teams know all about efficiency stats and advanced analytics. College freshmen and sophomores may not.
Sep 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Those can’t be called dorms. Maybe luxury resort housing.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:56 PM EDT
Evans may be the best point guard in the Class of 2015, but it’s up for debate.
Sep 30, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Ernie Kent lands his third commitment in the Class of 2015.
Sep 30, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
The pair will replace Digger Phelps and Jalen Rose.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:48 AM EDT
The Owls may not have landed Jalen Brunson, but they did bring in an elite “legacy” in the back court.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Long Beach State has four commits in 2015.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Pauley Pavilion has gone under plenty of changes in the last few seasons and dealt with a flooding issue several months back.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
UNLV continues to tap into the local powerhouse.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
All four commits are ranked in the Rivals150.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
Spoiler: Kentucky is going to dunk a lot this season.
Sep 29, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
A decision could come within the next three weeks.
Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
John Calipari’s loaded roster has required a new position on the Kentucky staff.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Logwood had previously signed with Auburn.
Sep 29, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
Spoelstra is now the head coach of the Miami Heat.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
New head coach Mike Rhoades is from the Shaka Smart coaching tree.
- John Calipari hiring an analytics director is smart, necessary, strictly for his players 0
- Marcus Smart’s mom reportedly hospitalized the day he shoved Texas Tech fan 0
- Four-star point guard verbally commits to Clemson 0
- Top 2015 and 2016 prospects comment on high school-to-pro move in new report 0
- Four-star 2015 shooting guard commits to Illinois 0
- Florida State gets commitment from 7-foot-4 2015 center 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Nebraska invades Chicago, Wake Forest lands big recruit, Wisconsin gets another system fit 0
- Wichita State gets commitment from three-star 2015 point guard (2)
- Three-star point guard down to Maryland, Providence, UNLV and Virginia Tech (1)
- Former SMU commit picks Michigan State (1)
- Alex Poythress dunks over 7-foot Dakari Johnson (VIDEO) (1)
- Sean Miller gives update on Arizona forward Brandon Ashley (1)