Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Vincent Council did something pretty impressive last night.
The Providence senior guard set the Big East’s career assists record early in the first half against Syracuse, although it didn’t mean much as the Friars were down 43-16 at the half to the No. 8 team in the country en route to an 84-59 loss. Ironically enough, Council’s record-breaking assist — when he found LaDontae Henton for a dunk that made the score 16-14 — was the spark that set Syracuse off. The Orange went on a 27-2 run to close the half after that bucket.
But regardless, Council, who has been severely underrated throughout his career due to the fact that he plays for a team that has struggled to maintain relevancy in the Big East, deserves a ton of credit for this accomplishment. He now has 431 career assists, which is five more (and counting) than Sherman Douglas had when his career with the Orange came to a close in 1989.
You’d think he would get some kind of credit from someone, but that’s just not how Syracuse rolls:
Over the years, Providence amassed an 18-52 record during the Big East games that Council was collecting assists. Douglas’ Syracuse teams were 47-17 in Big East play during his record-breaking assist days.
“Sherman only played three years. His freshman year, he had somebody named Washington ahead of him so he didn’t get to play that year,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said, referring to Pearl Washington. “I don’t think anybody would break his record in three years.”
I’ll summarize: ‘Good job, Vincent, but you still stink and your team’s awful and you’ll never be as good as anyone from Syracuse.’
That’s pretty harsh. And that’s from the Syracuse Post-Standard. I know, I would have guessed it came from the snarkfest that is Troy Nunes, too.
I think a simple congratulations would have sufficed.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 1
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- John Calipari: ‘We’re chasing perfection’ (14)
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (4)
- The Big Ten is setting records for their revenue (3)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead