Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Vincent Council did something pretty impressive last night.
The Providence senior guard set the Big East’s career assists record early in the first half against Syracuse, although it didn’t mean much as the Friars were down 43-16 at the half to the No. 8 team in the country en route to an 84-59 loss. Ironically enough, Council’s record-breaking assist — when he found LaDontae Henton for a dunk that made the score 16-14 — was the spark that set Syracuse off. The Orange went on a 27-2 run to close the half after that bucket.
But regardless, Council, who has been severely underrated throughout his career due to the fact that he plays for a team that has struggled to maintain relevancy in the Big East, deserves a ton of credit for this accomplishment. He now has 431 career assists, which is five more (and counting) than Sherman Douglas had when his career with the Orange came to a close in 1989.
You’d think he would get some kind of credit from someone, but that’s just not how Syracuse rolls:
Over the years, Providence amassed an 18-52 record during the Big East games that Council was collecting assists. Douglas’ Syracuse teams were 47-17 in Big East play during his record-breaking assist days.
“Sherman only played three years. His freshman year, he had somebody named Washington ahead of him so he didn’t get to play that year,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said, referring to Pearl Washington. “I don’t think anybody would break his record in three years.”
I’ll summarize: ‘Good job, Vincent, but you still stink and your team’s awful and you’ll never be as good as anyone from Syracuse.’
That’s pretty harsh. And that’s from the Syracuse Post-Standard. I know, I would have guessed it came from the snarkfest that is Troy Nunes, too.
I think a simple congratulations would have sufficed.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)