Feb 21, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Vincent Council did something pretty impressive last night.
The Providence senior guard set the Big East’s career assists record early in the first half against Syracuse, although it didn’t mean much as the Friars were down 43-16 at the half to the No. 8 team in the country en route to an 84-59 loss. Ironically enough, Council’s record-breaking assist — when he found LaDontae Henton for a dunk that made the score 16-14 — was the spark that set Syracuse off. The Orange went on a 27-2 run to close the half after that bucket.
But regardless, Council, who has been severely underrated throughout his career due to the fact that he plays for a team that has struggled to maintain relevancy in the Big East, deserves a ton of credit for this accomplishment. He now has 431 career assists, which is five more (and counting) than Sherman Douglas had when his career with the Orange came to a close in 1989.
You’d think he would get some kind of credit from someone, but that’s just not how Syracuse rolls:
Over the years, Providence amassed an 18-52 record during the Big East games that Council was collecting assists. Douglas’ Syracuse teams were 47-17 in Big East play during his record-breaking assist days.
“Sherman only played three years. His freshman year, he had somebody named Washington ahead of him so he didn’t get to play that year,” SU coach Jim Boeheim said, referring to Pearl Washington. “I don’t think anybody would break his record in three years.”
I’ll summarize: ‘Good job, Vincent, but you still stink and your team’s awful and you’ll never be as good as anyone from Syracuse.’
That’s pretty harsh. And that’s from the Syracuse Post-Standard. I know, I would have guessed it came from the snarkfest that is Troy Nunes, too.
I think a simple congratulations would have sufficed.
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)