Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Six bubble games to keep an eye on this weekend:
- No. 17 Marquette at Villanova (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): The Wildcats put themselves into really good position to earn an at-large bid when they won at UConn last Saturday. But Villanova’s work is far from down, as an 18 point loss to Columbia weighs down what otherwise appears to be a solid profile — they also have wins over Syracuse and Louisville at home. An RPI in the mid-50’s with a non-conference strength of schedule sitting in the 160’s does not a lock make, which is why taking care of business against yet another Big East contender would be huge for Jay Wright’s ball-club.
- Baylor at Oklahoma (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU): As of now, Baylor is not an NCAA tournament basketball team. They have an RPI in the 60’s, their best wins are at home against Oklahoma State and at Kentucky. They’ve lost in Waco to both Charleston and Northwestern. That’s simply not enough. But a win at Oklahoma would do a lot to make that resume look prettier. The Sooners are a top 25 team in the RPI, which should be enough to get the Bears on the right side of the bubble for the time-being.
- NC State at North Carolina (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Roy Williams has done a masterful job gaming the RPI this season. His team has managed to put together one quality win this season — beating UNLV, a team notorious for their road struggles, at home — while getting embarrassed in their four biggest road games of the season. They’ve also lost at Texas, yet the Tar Heels are sitting at 26th in the RPI as of today. Simply put, they need to do more if they are going to feel comfortable about their at-large chances.
- Southern Miss at No. 21 Memphis (1:00 p.m. ET, FSN): The late surge by the Tigers has probably been enough to get them into the Field of 68 even if they lose to Southern Miss and miss out on the automatic bid from Conference USA, but nothing is guaranteed. The Tigers have one top 50 win — at USM — while the Golden Eagles only have two top 100 wins — at Denver and at UTEP. USM probably is not going to be receiving an at-large bid, so Memphis shouldn’t toy with their chances by losing.
- Missouri at Kentucky (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Here’s the chance for Kentucky to prove their doubters wrong. If this team is going to make the NCAA tournament without Nerlens Noel, they absolutely have to win this game. After getting embarrassed at Tennessee, the Wildcats looked much better at the start of Wednesday night’s game against Vanderbilt. They couldn’t put the Commodores away, but they hung on for the win. Can UK do the same against Missouri on Gameday?
- Auburn at Ole Miss (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3): Ole Miss losing to South Carolina put a huge dent in their at-large chances, but as of today, the Rebels still have a chance. They cannot, however, afford another loss to a team at the bottom of the SEC. Andy Kennedy’s club needs to win out.
The rest of the weekend bubble action:
- Iona at Indiana State (11:00 a.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Clemson at Maryland (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Alabama at LSU (1:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Iowa at Nebraska (2:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Boise State at Fresno State (10:00 p.m. ET)
- Washington at Arizona State (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 20 Pitt at St. John’s (Sun. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- La Salle at Richmond (Sun. 2:00 p.m. ET)
- Georgia Tech at Virginia (Sun. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Temple at Charlotte (Sun. 4:00 p.m. ET)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:26 PM EST
Not surprising, considering Gus Johnson is on the call.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:23 PM EST
North Carolina had its most impressive showing of the season in a convincing win over Ohio State on Saturday in Chicago.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Josh Jackson put on a show last night. Here’s a mixtape of what he can do.
Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell throws a punch, ejected as tempers flare against Western Kentucky (VIDEOS)
Dec 20, 2014, 12:56 PM EST
Montrezl Harrell ejected for throwing a punch.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:49 AM EST
This will be the first time that Murphy plays this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 11:25 AM EST
He won’t coach against VCU.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Kwe Parker might only be a junior in high school, but he’s one of the best leapers in the country.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
If you don’t feel like watching lower-tier bowl games, you’ll be happy to know that Saturday is loaded with great games.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:45 PM EST
Here’s a rundown of Friday night’s action.
Alex Mitola’s buzzer-beater three gives Dartmouth a 58-55 overtime win over Northern Illinois (VIDEO)
Dec 19, 2014, 11:12 PM EST
Alex Mitola ended with 18 points for the Big Green.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:13 PM EST
Eastern Kentucky had 14 threes. Miami had 12 field goals.
Dec 19, 2014, 8:59 PM EST
The senior forward is apparently playing for the Wisconsin Bearcats.
Dec 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Villanova is off to another good start in the regular season, but heading into the New Year, the Wildcats will need to rack up the wins in postseason play.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:49 PM EST
The SMU forward missed the first 10 games.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
The Gators could be shorthanded once again in Saturday’s non-conference contest with Wake Forest.
Dec 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
The Indiana sophomore was struck by a vehicle driven by a teammate back in November.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
Antravious Simmons averaged 0.7 points and 0.7 rebounds as a redshirt freshman at VCU.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
The Wildcats are on the road to take on one of Conference USA’s best teams in UTEP, and both No. 18 Miami and No. 20 St. John’s are in action as well.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:44 PM EST
Jordan Gathers had yet to play in a game this season after undergoing hip surgery in June.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:26 PM EST
Kansas State is one of many programs looking to land Semi Ojeleye, but all of their scholarships are accounted for currently.
- Markus Kennedy cleared to play immediately for SMU 0
- Weekend Preview: A loaded Saturday slate highlights the weekend 4
- Rebounding, foul shooting help No. 2 Duke make up for 19 turnovers in win over UConn 0
- Michigan State starting forward to miss next two games with non-displaced wrist fracture 0
- Film Session: What’s plaguing Marcus Paige? 1
- Throwback Thursday: UConn ‘Shocks The World’ against Duke (VIDEO) 1
- New Year’s Resolutions: Virginia Cavaliers 1
- Gregg Marshall writes to Wichita State students after seeing empty seats in student section (PHOTO) (7)
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- Without Alex Poythress, No. 1 Kentucky’s offense looks comfortable in win over No. 21 North Carolina (4)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (4)