Feb 22, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Six bubble games to keep an eye on this weekend:
- No. 17 Marquette at Villanova (6:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): The Wildcats put themselves into really good position to earn an at-large bid when they won at UConn last Saturday. But Villanova’s work is far from down, as an 18 point loss to Columbia weighs down what otherwise appears to be a solid profile — they also have wins over Syracuse and Louisville at home. An RPI in the mid-50’s with a non-conference strength of schedule sitting in the 160’s does not a lock make, which is why taking care of business against yet another Big East contender would be huge for Jay Wright’s ball-club.
- Baylor at Oklahoma (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU): As of now, Baylor is not an NCAA tournament basketball team. They have an RPI in the 60’s, their best wins are at home against Oklahoma State and at Kentucky. They’ve lost in Waco to both Charleston and Northwestern. That’s simply not enough. But a win at Oklahoma would do a lot to make that resume look prettier. The Sooners are a top 25 team in the RPI, which should be enough to get the Bears on the right side of the bubble for the time-being.
- NC State at North Carolina (4:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Roy Williams has done a masterful job gaming the RPI this season. His team has managed to put together one quality win this season — beating UNLV, a team notorious for their road struggles, at home — while getting embarrassed in their four biggest road games of the season. They’ve also lost at Texas, yet the Tar Heels are sitting at 26th in the RPI as of today. Simply put, they need to do more if they are going to feel comfortable about their at-large chances.
- Southern Miss at No. 21 Memphis (1:00 p.m. ET, FSN): The late surge by the Tigers has probably been enough to get them into the Field of 68 even if they lose to Southern Miss and miss out on the automatic bid from Conference USA, but nothing is guaranteed. The Tigers have one top 50 win — at USM — while the Golden Eagles only have two top 100 wins — at Denver and at UTEP. USM probably is not going to be receiving an at-large bid, so Memphis shouldn’t toy with their chances by losing.
- Missouri at Kentucky (9:00 p.m. ET, ESPN): Here’s the chance for Kentucky to prove their doubters wrong. If this team is going to make the NCAA tournament without Nerlens Noel, they absolutely have to win this game. After getting embarrassed at Tennessee, the Wildcats looked much better at the start of Wednesday night’s game against Vanderbilt. They couldn’t put the Commodores away, but they hung on for the win. Can UK do the same against Missouri on Gameday?
- Auburn at Ole Miss (5:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3): Ole Miss losing to South Carolina put a huge dent in their at-large chances, but as of today, the Rebels still have a chance. They cannot, however, afford another loss to a team at the bottom of the SEC. Andy Kennedy’s club needs to win out.
The rest of the weekend bubble action:
- Iona at Indiana State (11:00 a.m. ET, ESPNU)
- Clemson at Maryland (12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN2)
- Alabama at LSU (1:30 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Iowa at Nebraska (2:00 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network)
- Boise State at Fresno State (10:00 p.m. ET)
- Washington at Arizona State (11:00 p.m. ET, ESPNU)
- No. 20 Pitt at St. John’s (Sun. 12:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- La Salle at Richmond (Sun. 2:00 p.m. ET)
- Georgia Tech at Virginia (Sun. 2:00 p.m. ET, ESPN3)
- Temple at Charlotte (Sun. 4:00 p.m. ET)
You can find Rob on twitter @RobDauster.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Four Pac-12 schools remain in the running for the services of the former Arizona commit.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
Drew Edwards’ relationship with Providence head coach Ed Cooley was one reason why he chose PC.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Esa Ahmad’s list includes Ohio State and two other Big Ten programs.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Diamond Stone has cut his list to five schools, but just one has also offered friend Malik Newman.
Aug 28, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT
6-foot-10 forward/center Kavell Bigby-Williams would have given the Bobcats some additional size in the paint.
Aug 28, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
Trayvon Reed, who was dismissed from the Maryland program following his arrest on multiple charges earlier this summer, will enroll at Auburn in December.
Aug 28, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
There are already five players on the team Galemmo coached that have committed to high major programs.
Aug 28, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
He deserved it after the season his Eagle team had.
Aug 28, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
There’s now a reason why Charleston couldn’t hire their most famous alum.
Aug 28, 2014, 12:02 PM EDT
He’s only been at DePaul for four years.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
His reaction is priceless
Aug 28, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
The Wildcats pulled a player off of a loaded AAU team’s bench.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
One of the most entertaining games in recent memory
Aug 27, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
One of the three remaining schools for Henry Ellenson added his older brother to the program in the spring.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
Markus Howard decides to remain in the “Valley of the Sun” for college.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
NBC Sports Network will broadcast 33 Atlantic 10 games.
Aug 27, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
While there are still some non-conference schedules to complete, the ACC conference schedule is loaded with quality matchups.
Aug 27, 2014, 6:11 PM EDT
Zylan Cheatham joins fellow freshman Malik Pope on the sidelines, with the latter still working to rehab a leg he broke twice while in high school.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT
With their two finalists having removed their names from consideration, the College of Charleston is back to square one in its search for a new head coach.
Aug 27, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
Non-Power 5 programs will be allowed to do just that.
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 0
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? 2
- ‘Value Add’ stat projects Utah’s Delon Wright as having a historic season 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Bruce Pearl gets welcomed by Auburn team, students after NCAA show-cause ends (VIDEO) 0
- In his first day of recruiting, Bruce Pearl lands Auburn a four-star forward (3)
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)